Tuesday 22 September 2020

Crediton United - Lords Meadow

Crediton United FC
Lords Meadow
Commercial Road
EX17 1ER

Ground Number: 928
Monday 19th September 2020
Crediton United 1-0 Honiton Town
South West Peninsula East


The club was established in 1910 and immediately joined the Exeter & District League. Their stay here was a long one and it wasn't until 1963 that they won the Division 1 title. This earned them promotion to the Premier Division but they were relegated back three years later. They bounced back straight away but were relegated again in 1969. The league was renamed the Devon & Exeter League in 1972 but it wouldn't be until 1985 that Crediton won promotion back to the Premier Division. This time they were much better prepared and they won the Premier Divison in 1988 and after a good run of finishes made the step up to the Western League in 1990. Starting in Division 1, they had two third-place finishes, the latter of which in 1993 earned them promotion to the Premier Division. In 1994 they finished 11th, the best finish in the club's history. Crediton were relegated in 1996 and a couple of years later left to join the Devon County  League due to travelling costs. Finishes here were disappointing, no higher than 10th but in 2007 they became founder members of the South West Peninsula League, playing in the step 7 Division 1 East. 4th place in 2012 was their best finish here. In 2019, restructuring saw them promoted to the step 6 SWP East and last season they were in 14th place when the season was declared null and void.

Crediton United have not yet participated in the FA Cup but they have reached the FA Vase 1st Round on three occasions. In local competitions, they won the East Devon Senior Cup in 1934. The small town of Crediton has a population of around 7,800 and is home to the Sandford Orchards cider company as well as the Milk Link dairy.


A few weeks ago, I decided that what with all the COVID cases, I'd not be taking my usual break up north. It was a shame, as I enjoyed taking public transport and being able to relax and there was also plenty of choices of games to visit and cheapish accommodation. Instead, I'd head down to Devon & Cornwall for the first time and camp to save a bit of money. On Monday, there was just the one choice in Crediton United v Honiton Town so I booked in at a campsite a couple of miles away. The day of the game came and I woke up at 8 am. I was glad that when I checked Twitter there were no late problems with the game. I watched TV for a bit and caught up online before having a bath. I got all my stuff together and left just before 10. I'd planned on leaving a bit later, but as usual with football was twiddling my thumbs and getting restless. The journey was generally good. I'd planned to stop at a place called Brockley Stores and that I did, picking up a few nice ciders. I was at my camping spot just after 2.30 and had some of my cider whilst pitching my tent. By 4, all was good apart from the patchy mobile signal. I headed into town, just under half an hour walk. The Sir General Redvers Buller was my 200th Wetherspoons and there I had a local Sandford Orchards cider. My second pint Thatchers Gold came with my pizza which was decent. The Three Little Pigs was my next stop where I had a quick pint of Sandford Orchards served in a plastic glass which I had to return to get my £1 deposit. From there, it was a 15-minute walk to the ground. Google Maps was completely wrong but I eventually got where I needed to be by navigating to the Sports Centre and working it out from there. Entry was an excellently priced £5 including programme and I also had a great cornish pastie and a can of Thatchers Haze for £2 each. During the game, I talked to Phil Hiscox from the league who was really friendly and gave me a free league handbook.

Crediton United had enjoyed a mixed bag of results so far this season. A 13-0 win over whipping boys Stoke Gabriel had been the standout result whilst they'd also beaten Bovey Tracey home and away 3-1 and 2-1 respectively. But they had suffered defeats to Ilfracombe (0-2) and Axminster Town (2-3). Visitors Honiton Town had beaten Holsworthy 2-1 and 1-0, drawn 2-2 at Cullompton Rangers as well as defeats to Ilfracombe (1-5) and Elmore (1-2). There were chances for both sides but Crediton won it with a goal in the 32nd minute when Will Martin shot from just inside the area. It wasn't the greatest of games but Honiton could have levelled on 78 minutes when a cross from their Long was headed onto the underside of the bar before being cleared. Once the game had finished, it was around 40 minutes walk back to my tent. I was pretty tired by now, so got to sleep pretty quickly with no mobile signal to distract me.


LORDS MEADOW is a decent stadium for the level. There are two seated stands for around 150 in total  plus a further standing area. There's a tea bar at the ground which sells cans of drinks and pasties amongst other things with the latter being really good. The town is around 15 minutes walk away and there's plenty of choice here. The Sir General Redvers Buller is a decent Wetherspoons outlet and is probably your best bet for pre-match drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment