Saturday, 12 September 2026

SC Victoria Hamburg - Stadion Hoheluft

SC Victoria Hamburg
Stadion Hoheluft
Lokstedter Steindamm 87
22529 Eimsbüttel
Germany







Ground Number: 1586
Saturday 12th September 2026
SV Victoria Hamburg V 3-1 HSV Barmbek-Uhlenhorst IV
Kreisliga Hamburg 4








SV VICTORIA HAMBURG - A BRIEF HISTORY 

The club is one of the oldest in Germany, having been established in 1895.  It was one of the founding members of the DFB (Deutscher Fußball-Bund or German Football Association) at Leipzig in 1901. Victoria joined the HAFV (Hamburg-Altonaer Fußball-Verband or Hamburg-Altona Football Federation) a year later, winning the league in 1905. The team won two consecutive North German championships in 1907 and 1908 and advanced as far as the quarterfinals in the DFB-Pokal (German FA Cup) in both seasons. In 1933, German football was reorganised under the Third Reich, with the top division called the Gauligen and split into 16 regional divisions. Victoria earned promotion there in 1934 and then again in 1943, remaining there until the end of the war.


 
Football was suspended by the occupying Allies, and the club was placed in Stadtliga Hamburg for a couple of seasons before becoming one of four Hamburg teams to join the newly-formed Oberliga Nord in 1947. This was again the top tier, albeit regional. Victoria enjoyed three isolated seasons here in the 50s but were relegated to the Amateurliga Hamburg. The Bundesliga was established in 1963, which saw the club placed in the second tier, Regionalliga Nord, where they lasted for three seasons. They were relegated to the Amateurliga Hamburg in 1966, and although they spent a season in the fourth tier, Landesliga Hamburg-Germania, in 1968/69, they remained a solid third-tier side during this period. In 1977, Victoria were relegated to the Verbandsliga Hamburg, again the fourth tier. This was reclassified as the fifth tier in 1994, and that is where the club has remained for the most part (with occasional fourth-tier seasons), although it is currently known as the Oberliga Hamburg.


Cup-wise, the club has five Hamburg Cups (or Hamburger Pokal) to their name. This entitled them to entry into the DFB Pokal in later years after a long absence from the competition. They crashed out 6-0 to Bundesliga side 1. FC Nürnberg in 2007 but caused a cup shock by beating second-tier Rot-Weiß Oberhausen 1-0 in 2010 before going out to VFL Wolfsburg. Their latest campaigns saw them lose 2-1 to SC Freiburg and 2-0 to Hannover 96. The football team is part of a larger sports club that has departments for badminton, handball, hockey, athletics, tennis, table tennis (playing as SG Victoria Eppendorf), gymnastics, baseball (the Wildcats), and softball (the Oysters). I would be watching one of the reserve sides of the club, SC Victoria Hamburg V, who play in the Kreisliga Hamburg 4, which is the eighth tier of German football.

MY VISIT

Despite having an upset stomach, I was in a recently positive mood as Wycombe Wanderers had won 3-2 at Leyton Orient. It was ironic that the last time I had it this bad was Leyton Orient v Wycombe Wanderers in 2006, thanks to a dodgy biryani at a Charlton game two days previously. I was totally wiped out that time, and although it wasn't as bad this time, I felt pretty jaded. It was back on the 24 bus for the third time that day, with a change onto the U-Bahn at Meindorfer. The U1 arrived pretty much instantly as soon as I got on the platform. The first plan was an Irish pub which was supposed to do Hamburg cider, but no such luck. I decided not to bother; it had been an unusually sober Saturday for me. I went to a chemist and got some Imodium amongst other things, as well as getting pictures of the town hall and the church. I'd not eaten since this morning, so I attempted a burger, chilli cheese, not the wisest choice. I also went for a large Paddy's cider at Paddy's Bar. It made me feel much better, but what goes in must come out and I had to take my drink with me to the bog. Not the most salubrious of surroundings with no lock on the door, but I was not disturbed during my quick visit. I then got bus 5 to my third and final game of the day. I was glad to see activity going on when I got to the ground. The best stadium of the weekend so far, I got some pictures before going into the stand as it started to rain.
There was a large congregation of English fans who were chanting; presumably they missed out on St Pauli tickets like me. Victoria were 10th with four points from four games, and Barmbek were 3rd with nine points from four games. Ben Baura opened the scoring for Barmbek on 31 minutes. Max Volgt equalised for Victoria on 51 minutes; a good through ball allowed him to put the ball over the keeper's dive. Victoria went ahead after 78 minutes, with Tom Munster heading the ball home. In injury time, Victoria scored a penalty to make it 3-1.

 

THE GROUND

HOHELUFT STADION is a classic venue. There is a large main stand holding around 1000 and expansive terracing on two sides. There was a bar with food and drink in when I went for a low-key game, although there are several catering units outside. I'm not sure about parking, but the area is covered pretty well by buses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.