Meiendorfer Flens-Arena
Deepenhorn 5
22145 Wandsbek
Germany
Ground Number: 1585
Saturday 12th September 2026
Meiendorfer SV 1-3 ASV Hamburg
Landesliga Hamburg Hansa
MEINENDORFER SV - A BRIEF HISTORY
The club was established in 1949 and caused initial consternation with its choice of strip - all black with a yellow badge. Because it clashed with the traditional uniform of referees, the football association objected, and they settled on yellow shirts with black shorts. For the first few decades, Meiendorfer SV played in lower leagues. They didn't achieve promotion to the Verbandsliga, Hamburg's highest league, until 1983. In 1995, they even reached the Oberliga Hamburg/Schleswig-Holstein, but couldn't maintain their position and were relegated to the Landesliga in 1999. After being promoted back to the Verbandsliga in 2001, Meiendorfer SV achieved immediate promotion to the Oberliga. The fifth tier in German football, their highest finish at this time was 4th, which they achieved on two occasions. They were relegated to what is now the Landesliga Hansa in 2006 but bounced back immediately with a runners-up spot behind Victoria Hamburg. Back in the Oberliga, they finished behind the same opponent for the next two seasons in 2008 & 2009. After some mid-table finishes, Meinendorfer were relegated to the Landesliga in 2016. They stayed at the lower level for a couple of seasons before going back up in 2018. The club continued to find life tough at the higher level but were repreived during the pandemic. They did go down in 2022, however, and have been in the Landesliga Hansa ever since.
Besides football, the club also offers badminton, ballet, basketball, fitness, health-oriented exercise, handball, hapkido, judo, karate, gymnastics, athletics, qigong, hip-hop, dance, table tennis, volleyball, and yoga. The football team plays its matches at the Meiendorfer Flens-Arena (formerly Stadion Meiendorf). Meiendorf is the northernmost of several districts within the Rahlstedt borough. Meiendorf is bordered to the north by the Volksdorf Forest, to the west by the border with Farmsen-Berne, to the south by Oldenfelde, and to the east by the border between Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein. It has a population of just over 21,000. The eastern half of Meiendorf features a hilly landscape and serpentine tunnel valleys, formed by meltwater streams from the Weichselian glaciation approximately 12,000 years ago. The retreating glaciers left behind debris and scree, some of which accumulated to form steep escarpments known as erosion ridges. The Meiendorf Interstadial, a warm phase of the Weichselian glaciation, was named after Meiendorf.
MY VISIT
I booked this trip only a few weeks before departure. I had been looking to do a new country, but flights to the likes of Lithuania, Romania and Albania did not suit my schedule. I tried for double-digit hours to try and work something out, including going in via another country and taking a FlixBus, but that too drew a blank. I discounted the UK (limited Friday & Sunday options), France & Malta (going the following week). To make things easier, I decided to restrict myself to flights from Heathrow to save time and money at both ends. Hamburg was the clear winner; in fact, that was my original plan to go with Colin on this date. However, he pulled out when PuffPuff offered him a Scottish weekend later in September, an offer he later revoked when he got a lift, and there wasn't enough room in the car for them all. Even though I was on my own, I was able to get a good price. Flights were £126 return to Hamburg, and accommodation was £129. I was promised by Google an £88 tariff via a site that claimed to be the official hotel website. However, this didn't ring true when I went via the actual official site. I emailed the hotel and confirmed they didn't know the partner. Bullet dodged, but I'd imagine that less vigilant people would get caught out.
It was easy to get between the first two games on this Saturday: just get on the 24 bus and go back from where I came. It was around the same way the other way back past the U-Bahn station. I was near the ground at 1.20 and stopped in Lidl for drinks. The bakery was not as good as the UK one, and there was no self-service, but the wait wasn't too bad. It was a walk to the ground, with me getting there at 1.40 and paying €6 to get in. I was glad to see that Wycombe Wanderers were 1-0 up at Leyton Orient, surprising given our bad week.
Meienendorfer were 7th with seven points from seven games whilst ASV Hamburg were 12th with three points. It was a fairly even game. ASV Hamburg took the lead on 16 minutes, with Godfred Kotei crashing in a shot off the bar. It was 0-2 a couple of minutes later, with Hischem Metijidi scoring a close-range finish. Janik Moreira was given a straight red for a bad challenge, ASV Hamburg down to ten men on 63 minutes. Meindorfer didn't really threaten, and it was 3-0 to the visitors on 80 minutes through Jose Balde. Balde then had a mad few seconds on 87 minutes, getting two red cards in quick succession to be sent off. Meindorfer then finally pulled a goal back with a header by Tom Busacker on 87 minutes.
THE GROUND
The MEINDORFER FLENS ARENA is a good ground for the level, holding around 500 in the covered main stand. The rest of the ground is open hard standing with a few benches. I didn't see any merch, but there is a decent selection of food and drink. There is plenty of parking and the ground is well linked by buses.
















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.