Monday 7 October 2024

FC Perly-Certoux - Stade Munipal de Perly


FC Perly-Certoux
Stade Municipal de Perly
Chem. de la Mairie 21
1258 Perly-Certoux
Geneva
Switzerland




Ground Number: 1362
Sunday 6th October 2024
FC Perly-Certoux II 0-2 FC Rapid Jonction Bosna
3. Liga Geneve Groupe 2








FC PERLY-CERTOUX - A BRIEF HISTORY

The club was established in 1961 adding a second team a couple of years later. The first team reached the second level of amateur football in 1976, their current level at least by name and this sits at step 5 of the Swiss League system. In 1978 they went up to the first league but by 1986 they were back down in the 3rd league. By 1990 though, they returned to the second league and also got to the final of the Geneva Cup. They were long-time members here and eventually lifted the Geneva Cup in 2006. The previous year they giant-killed Etoile Carouge in the Swiss Cup and reached the 2nd Round proper. They were rewarded with a game against FC Thun, who at the time were playing in the Champions League. Though they lost 7-1, the game produced their record attendance of 3,700, a remarkable crowd in spartan surroundings. The club slipped down to the third tier of amateur football in 2018 but returned in 2023 and remains there to this day. They still have representation in the third league via their second team. The club has many other teams also from the seniors that have been established for many years playing veteran football and many junior sides.
MY VISIT 

Switzerland had a reputation for being a rather expensive country and though this proved to be the case, there were some good value things to be had. Getting into football was cheaper than in the UK in my experience for sure. Also, local transport around Geneva was good value too. It was also included in the cost of my hotel's city tax which was around £10 for three days. The hotel was pricier than I was used to paying around £90 a night for three days, though I got the best deal possible on Trip.com. It was also a lovely room, one of the best I'd stayed in, albeit I'd have liked a kettle and a fridge in the room and had no need for the coffee maker. It was slightly out of Geneva but only a short bus ride away and overall, it was good value. The supermarkets were also far pricier than the UK, even by the posher shops standards but then I had not been looking for bargains and went for the more premium products that I wasn't able to get at home. Overall, based on the trip, it was a place I was going to enjoy, but I wouldn't be rushing back to as much as other countries I had visited. That said, Lichtenstein features highly on the list of countries I'd like to visit and France remains frustratingly elusive.

 

The consequence of my last-minute decision was that I had done no research into the game, other than the travel arrangements. I was glad to see it confirmed on the visitors' Facebook page in the morning and it was only then that I confirmed. I had to get a shift on from Onex but I jogged and was there on time. I even had time to find the correct platform which was around the corner from the other two. It was only a little minibus but it turned up a few minutes early so I hopped on. I listened to the Aston Villa v Manchester United game on Five Live on the way. I hopped off the bus and straight into the ground with ten minutes to spare.

FC Perly Certoux were in 10th having won one and lost four of their games so far. FC Rapid Jonction Bosna were in 4th having won three, drawn one and lost one of their games so far. It was a fairly tame opening and as with many games this weekend, some tough tackles flying in. Rapid Jonction Bosna took the lead on 29 minutes, a great shot from the edge of the area that flew into the top right corner. The hosts started to give it a real good go towards the end, having a couple cleared off of the line. As they pushed forward without creating much, deep into injury time the visitors doubled their lead, making it 2-0 after the initial shot was cleared off the line.
From the game, it was a five-minute walk to the bus stop. I was planning to go into Geneva to get dinner and also spend the last of the cash I had in the off licence I went to yesterday. I reflected on what had been a great trip and when I added up the costs of hotels and transport, it worked out at £55 a game, cheaper than some games I'd seen domestically. I went to Pretty Patty and had an insanely good Oklahoma burger with half fries and half sweet potato fries. It was full of taste and the best burger I've ever had. I'd only gone in for the API Cider that I wanted to try but it was well worth visiting. Then, to Drinks Of The World where I was hoping to use the last of my Swiss cash but there were four bottles I fancied so I put it on my card. I then went to Migros to try and get rid of the cash, I got a pide pizza and some chocolate to use up most of it but couldn't find a suitable bag of crisps so I had a few quid left. The pizza was very decent though but the shop was utter carnage, a reminder of home. It was a simple train and then a walk back to my room where I had my drinks and completed blogs one and two of the day. I opted to rest rather than complete a third on the same night. The following morning was a relaxed one, I sat in my room and did this blog. The plan was to check out at the latest time possible of 12PM and then kill time until I needed to go to the airport for my 3.40 flight. I might even sneak in a Wetherspoons if security and trains were quick into London, the John Hawkshaw which is closed at weekends was my target.

THE GROUND

STADE MUNICIPAL DE PERLY is one of the more basic setups at this level, It has the usual lovely backdrop, good parking and transport links though. The club building provides snacks and drinks and also an overhang which acts as cover. Otherwise its open standing but a nice place to watch a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment