Sunday 6 October 2024

FC Onex - Stade Municipal D'Onex

FC Onex
Stade Municipal D'Onex
Rte de Loëx
1213 Onex
Switerland






Ground Number: 1361
Sunday 6th October 2024
FC Onex 4-0 US Meinier
Women's Championship 3rd League - Group 1






FC ONEX - A BRIEF HISTORY 

Unlike a lot of the other clubs this weekend, FC Onex had a bit on their website about the history of the club. The club was established in 1954 and won its first title in the fifth tier in 1957. This was the year that long-term president Pierre Wellhauser joined the club and he is hopefully still is to this day, though I don't know when the article was written. It was a successful time for the club as they were promoted to the third tier of amateur football. Then in 1960 they went up to the second league but only survived for a single season. They had a more sustained spell between 1963 and 1985, even spending season 1977/78 in the 1st league. A brief relegation to the 3rd league between 1986 and 1988 but they would return to the 2nd league until 1997, again going down to the third league for two seasons. After many more years in the second league, they spent 2008/09 in the third league but are back in the 2nd league at present. This in terms of the Swiss League structure sits at tier six. The club has fifteen teams of all ages and both genders.

 

MY VISIT

Sunday was proving very little to do but watch football day in Switzerland, unlike the UK where there are just a few TV games and a full women's programme. Nothing wrong with that, but it appears that if I wanted a traditional Swiss meal, then Sunday would not be the one. Very much like the UK, it is the immigrant population and businesses that work unsociable hours and provide valuable services to those who need them. However, unlike the UK, it was not the biggest shopping day of the week, which is pretty much the bain of every Sunday for me. Almost everything was closed which put the kybosh on any plans of going to the supermarket for food or even a restaurant. Unless I fancied kebab or tacos which I very much would if at home, but not overseas. Originally, I intended Compesières FC for this middle game as it was the shortest distance between games. However, public transport was a different story and as well as a lack of food options between games one and two, I'd be unable to get to game three without a taxi, which wasn't guaranteed to be available. I did briefly consider going to FC Kosova Geneve but as often is the case, it was a case of Futbology having conflicting information to the official Swiss site.
It was mighty frustrating to have spent time researching what limited information I could find on FC Kosova but at least it had saved a wasted journey. It always pays to double-check these things and looking at the club's excellent social media page confirmed the case. It was a bit more off-route than I had hoped but I decided to leave the decision until later and get on with my other blogs. It turned out that my third game was being played the previous day, another wasted journey averted. The ACGF site proved invaluable in getting me some backups to cover all eventualities. It was a good job as a lot of the clubs were very sketchy on their social media output. There was a game at FC Onex Women listed in the afternoon and this suited me fine as I was considering their morning game. It would be tight for new game three but I could decide on the day.


I confirmed my choice as late as Saturday evening as it worked perfectly between my two scheduled games. It was a bit of late research on Sunday morning to find out about the club and my game. From my morning game at Plan-les-Quates, it was a nice 25-minute walk between games through quiet rural streets. FC Onex was an option for my morning game but how I worked it, I was happy with. I was unsure what level this was but FC Onex were fifth in the table, having won four, drawn one and lost two of their games. US Meinier were in the relegation zone in 11th having won one, drawn one and lost five of their games. It was a fairly even opening but Onex took the lead on 22 minutes. They had a free kick which was looped in. The keeper didn't deal with the high ball very well and it was bundled home at the back post. It was 2-0 on 32 minutes, a low cross from the right and a finish from six yards out. They made it 3-0 on 37 minutes, getting on the end of good through ball before slotting past the keeper. It was a dominant performance and they hit the bar with another free kick on 40 minutes. At half time I bought a club plastic glass to add to my collection, they had easily the most impressive range of things to buy out of all the clubs this weekend. The second half continued in the same fashion as the first, a long-range effort making it 4-0 on 55 minutes. They continued to dominate and hit the post with 8 minutes to go.

 

THE GROUND

STADE MUNICIPAL D'ONEX is a nice venue to watch a game at It has several quirks. This includes the main standing side which has the steps painted in red and green. This side has the club room where a good range of souvenirs, food and drink are available, by far the best of my trip. Behind one goal has lots of cover, both in the below terrace and above in a raised viewing area. The far side is split into two thanks to the dugouts whilst the other end has no standing. The ground has a decent amount of parking and is well linked by public transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment