Friday, 20 July 2018

Cheadle Heath Nomads - The Heath

Cheadle Heath Nomads FC
The Heath
Norbreck Avenue

Ground Number: 780
Thursday 19th July 2018
Cheadle Heath Nomads 3-1 Chadderton


The club was established as recently as 2004, having been formed as part of a merger between two local clubs - Linotype and Cheadle Heath Nomads, with both clubs having an extensive history in the Mid Cheshire (now Cheshire) League. The Cheshire League would be Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads home for the next 14 years, with the club staying in the top tier for the entirety of their stay. Finishes ranged from a rock-bottom 16th in 2011 to their only league win so far in 2015. They were also runners-up the following year, but it wasn't until last season's 4th place finish and the expansion of the North West Counties League that they were able to make the step up. Though the new club has not yet played in either of the FA Competitions, former club Linotype were regulars in the FA Vase (reaching the 2nd Round on three occasions). With the facilities now in place for step 6 football, the new club should be able to enter the FA Vase. They appear to have dropped the Linotype from their name this season and are now known as Cheadle Heath Nomads.


With me having an afternoon game at Walsall, I was keen to see something in the evening. I'd initially earmarked the reasonably nearby Malvern Town, but that game was called off after opponents Dudley pulled out. I found another close one at Eccleshall, but again, that was moved to Lilleshall, due to problems with the home club's pitch. Next choice was Middlewich Town, a ground that I'd seen on a Norwegian hopper, Anders' blog. But that too was cancelled due to an unsuitable pitch. I turned out I was going to have to travel over 60 miles to see a game, either Shirebrook Town (v Mansfield Town XI), Wellington (v Kidderminster Harriers XI) and Cheadle Heath Nomads (v Chadderton). With the latter one having a good Twitter and free entry, I decided to go for that and it also had the bonus of a 7PM kickoff, meaning that I'd be able to start heading home earlier. The club was newly promoted to the North West Counties League for this season and looked to have a nice tidy and pleasant home.

From my afternoon game at Walsall, it was just over 70 miles to this game. However, owing to rush hour traffic, it took over 2 and a half hours to get there, with me not arriving until 6.30. I decided against going for food as I wasn’t really hungry. I was slightly disappointed to see that the game was being played on the back pitch, but it was no big thing really. They were hard at work getting the ground ready for the new season, cables were being laid for floodlights and they’d not even got the rail around the pitch yet. It was still a nice place to watch football though, especially on a summers evening. I caught up with things while I waited for kick off, glad that it started at 7 so I could make my way home slightly earlier.

The game started with the hosts on the front foot, hitting the post in the opening minute, albeit for an effort that would have been ruled out for offside. The opening goal game around 20 minutes in. Chadderton keeper Jordan Hadlow made a great save from a shot to deflect the ball around the post for a corner, but he could do nothing to prevent Jack Warren heading home the resulting kick. A couple of minutes later, the lead was doubled, this time it was Kieran Hibert finishing from close range at the back post, following a cross from the left. Chadderton had chances on the break, but it was Cheadle Heath Nomads that were running the game. They were awarded a penalty around half an hour in following a trip in the area, but Rick Tindall, a recent signing from Manchester League side Poynton was denied by a great save from Hadlow. So a dominant first half from the hosts, with their number 10 looking a real handful overall, a team that should cope well with the step up to the North West Counties League. The second half saw a host of changes and the visitors a lot more competitive. They pulled a goal back early on in the second half, triallist Si Muhammed with a low shot following a good through ball. Chadderton came close to equalising on a number of occasions but the game was wrapped up on 75 minutes when Terrence Butler capitalised on some lax defending to fire past substitute keeper Daniel Havern to make it 3-1 and seal the victory.

It had been a really good game, and probably the best that I have seen this season. Before I headed home, I wanted to get home for something to eat and so drove to the nearest takeaway that I could find. This turned out to be Prego Pizza and there I had a Texas BBQ Chicken meal for a fiver. It turned out to be decent enough and prepared me for my journey home. I left at 9.15, getting home three hours later. It had been a tiring day and I only stayed up for 10 minutes before going straight to bed and getting a good 10-hour sleep in.


THE HEATH is a smart set up, with a nice location. The original part of the ground is the smart looking pavilion, this has seating for around 20 and standing for a whole lot more. To comply with ground grading, a standard arena type stand has been installed, holding around 50. The rest of the ground is open hard standing.

There are plenty of pubs and takeaways in the vicinity and the town of Edgeley and Stockport County FC is around a mile away. Back at the ground, there is a bar with a reasonable range of drinks, though I'm unsure of prices as I didn't indulge. Hot drinks are available, and although I didn't see any food for sale, there is a kitchen there.


No comments:

Post a comment