Friday 14 October 2016

Street - Tannery Field

Street FC
Tannery Ground
Middle Brooks
BA16 0TA

Ground Number: 632
Sunday 9th October 2016
Street 4-2 Chipping Sodbury Town
Western League Premier


Street FC have a long and distinguished history, having been formed way back in 1880. They've spent the vast majority of their time in the Gloucester and Western Leagues. They rejoined the latter in 1997 following a 37-year absence, starting in its lower tier. After several good finishes, 3rd place in 2006 was good enough to win promotion to the Premier and they've been there ever since. They've generally done well with their best finish coming in 2014 when they finished 5th.

In the FA Cup the club reached the 1st Round before a defeat to Cheltenham Town. In more recent times a 2nd Qualifying Round appearance in 2004/05 saw a narrow 2-1 defeat to Merthyr Tydfil after defeating higher league opponents in Cinderford Town and Gloucester City in previous rounds.  2006/07 saw a great run to the FA Vase 5th Round where they lost 4-0 to Wimborne Town. Local cup wins include the Somerset Senior Cup and Somerset League Cup.  


After the game at Chard, I made a swift getaway and was one of the first hoppers at Street. I parked up and got a picture of the club sign, before checking out the clubhouse. There was only a couple of Thatchers ciders that I'd had before,  so I went straight into the ground. In there I had a nice portion of chilli con carne and chips while I waited for the game to start. I met fellow groundhopper Adam for the first time too,  and we had a brief chat.

Chipping Sodbury were edging the game and they took the lead on 24 minutes when their number 4 headed home from a good cross. Street were soon level 4 minutes later when Craig Howard drove a shot home from just outside the area. On 41 minutes,  Street took the lead from the penalty spot. An attacker got away and was pulled back, the offender getting a yellow card as there was another man covering. The visitors did get a man sent off just before half-time as the number 5 saw red for a two-footed challenge. In the second half the game died down a bit in terms of chances. Street went 3-1 ahead when Steve Murray dribbled round the keeper and finished past the keeper on 62 minutes. The ten-man visitors pulled a goal back when Dave Sims found the corner of the net from outside the area,  the goal of the game,  and most possibly,  the groundhop weekend. Steve Murray made sure that Street would be taking all 3 points when he scored from the penalty spot in the 92nd minute. On the balance of play it was a deserved result for the hosts. 

It had been a tiring but enjoyable weekend, and with work in the morning I was keen to be on my way so as to not arrive back too late. I had to stop at Wincanton Morrisons on the way home to get petrol and the A303 was frustartingly slow in parts. I finally got back home at 7.30, and despite having a lot of work to do on my blogs, I wasn't going to turn my PC on. Instead I had a couple of bottles of cider while watching TV, before going to sleep at 10, which left me with a solid 6 hours sleep before I was up for work at 4am the following morning.


THE TANNERY is a smart and modern venue in a residential area of Street. It had a resonable bar and excellent food when I went, which is just as well as I didn't see much nearby when driving in. There are 2 covered areas - a seated stand holding around 100 and a covered terrace with space for 200. The rest of the ground is open and is very well kept.

No comments:

Post a Comment