Wednesday 26 May 2021

Little Oakley - Memorial Ground


Little Oakley FC
The Memorial Ground
Harwich Road
Little Oakley
Essex
CO12 5ED







Ground Number: 959
Tuesday 25th May 2021
Dunmow Town 8-1 Stanway Rovers Res
Covid Cup Final





LITTLE OAKLEY FC - A BRIEF HISTORY

The club was established in 1947 as Little Oakley War Memorial, changing its name in 1974 to its present guise. They started out in local leagues at first, playing in the Harwich & District, Tendring Hundred & Colchester & East Essex. In 1963, they joined the Essex & Suffolk League and stayed there for 54 years, winning its top division on five occasions, as well as Division 1 in 1986. After the last of those titles in 2017, they joined the Eastern Counties League. Starting in Division 1, they finished 14th in 2018 and 7th the following year. The last two seasons were cut short due to the pandemic, but with LIttle Oakley sitting in 3rd and 5th, they have earned a place in the Essex Senior League for next season.

 
Little Oakley played in the FA Cup for the first time this season but ended up losing 4-2 at Saffron Walden Town. Their FA Vase debut in 2017 was one to forget as they lost 10-1 at Tower Hamlets in the 2nd Qualifying Round. Their best season came the following year when they beat Hadleigh United before losing to Enfield in a 1st Round Replay. Local cup honours include the Essex Intermediate Cup (1990), the Essex & Suffolk Border League Knockout Cup (1964, 2015 & 2017) the Tommy Thompson Cup (1984) and the A V Lee Service Memorial Cup (1994). The small village of Little Oakley is located near Harwich in Essex and has a population of just under 1,200. It was made famous in an episode of 'I'm Alan Partridge' when the DJ came out with the line 'I have someone on the line who fears he may be a gay. He's married so wishes to remain anonymous...I'm talking to Domingo in Little Oakley.'. As a result, there is a tapas bar named in Domingo's honour in the village.

 
MY VISIT

Games were starting to thin out, what with most leagues opting to end their seasons by now. I was determined to see a game on this day - the 25th of May is the first day of the year that I'd not seen a game on. My first thoughts were AFC Coventry Rangers v Welland, but it was a bit far for a very basic venue. I'd just about resigned myself to settling for a charity game at Wycombe Wanderers but then I spotted the Covid Cup Final at Little Oakley. This was between Dunmow Town and Stanway Rovers Reserves with both clubs eagerly advertising it on their Twitter. I'd been considering Little Oakley last Friday, but after offering it to two hoppers, they didn't even have the courtesy to get back to me. It was a shame as I'd have saved 20 miles each way going via them. Despite the extra mileage, I was glad when more reliable and communicative hopper Anwar agreed to come with me, as I'd only spotted it the afternoon before. I'd been considering going to Rotherfield United v Wargrave on Monday, but decided against it due to the inclement weather. It was a wise decision as it was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. As it happens, I might go and see the visitors at Hurst on Saturday, as it looks like a reasonable venue, Also, it's near family which I might be visiting on that day, thus killing two birds with one stone.


I awoke after a decent nights sleep on the day of the game at about 6.30 am. I read the Daily Star on my tablet and a couple of other magazines before getting up at 8. After lazing about some more, I had a shower and went out for a walk down Wycombe. I didn't really need anything, but the exercise would be good for me. Before I went, I did the planning for tonight's travelling and also changed my Twitter list for keeping up with game news. I was hoping that Bemerton Heath Harlequins would triumph at Brockenhurst, as that meant that there would be a cup final at Ringwood on Friday night. This would mean a new ground for me - if Brockenhurst won, the final would be played there, which I've already visited. I went up the cash and carry with my Dad before coming back and spending the afternoon at home, researching history for tonight's blog. I left at 3.40, picking Anwar up in Aylesbury at 4 and Thomas up in Aston Clinton at 4.15. It was a good journey over but with us unsure of food options, we stopped at the Lucky City Chinese Takeaway in Galleywood near Chelmsford at 5.30. After an excellent portion of salt and pepper chips for £3, we made our way to Little Oakley getting there at 7. We spoke to some friendly locals about random football stuff before going in. Entry was £5 which included a programme.



Dunmow Town play in Division 1 of the Essex & Suffolk Border League, which sits at step 8 of the non-league pyramid. They finished 8th this season and play their games at Braintree Town. To get this far, they had beaten Great Bentley 9-1, Belle Vue Social Club 2-0 and won 4-0 at Silver End United. Stanway Rovers Reserves play in Stanway, near Colchester. They'd been in 13th when the season was abandoned. They'd beaten Cressing United 4-0 as well was winning 6-1 at Alresford Colne Rangers and 2-0 at Gosfield United. Dunmow started on top and they took the lead with a spectacular 30-yard lob from George Purcell after four minutes. Stanway Rovers came close, shooting narrowly wide of the left-hand post soon after. It was 2-0 on 20 minutes, a ball was put in and Harry Hope controlled the ball went before turning and putting home a composed finish. Five minutes later it was 3-0, again a cross did the damage. This time the keeper could only parry a header and Kyran Clements was on hand to follow up. The game was as good as over on 37 minutes, again a cross and this time it was Purcell on the volley to complete his brace. It was 5-0 just before halftime, a pass back was lobbed back to the keeper and he could only chest it into the path of Dwade James who had an easy finish. Five minutes into the second half it was 6-0, a great corner put in and a firm header by Kirtys McKenzie. Stanway Rovers finally had something to smile about, a tidy chipped finish reduced the scores to 6-1 but Dunmow came close to restoring the six-goal cushion with a shot that hit the post and rolled across the line. It was 7-1 on 78 minutes, a neat run and finish by Mack Miskin. It was 8-1 on 86 minutes, James with his second and the same player hit the post soon after.


We had chatted to a friendly official who said that Dunmow had six players dual registered with Braintree which might have explained the gap in class. George Purcell was also Hornchurch's top scorer of all time and he looked a cut above. Stanway Rovers improved in the second half and their number 6 looked like a really tidy player. For Dunmow, George Purcell stood out. We left the ground at 9.25 and had a good journey home apart from a small closure on the A12. I dropped Thomas off at 11.20, Anwar off five minutes later and got in myself at 11.50. I was disappointed to discover that Brockenhurst had beaten Bemerton Heath Harlequins. As a result, my potential game at Ringwood on Friday wasn't happening. I spent around 20 minutes up before getting into bed, but couldn't get to sleep for over an hour. I was glad that I wasn't up until the fairly civilised time of 6.45, though I'd be hoping to catch up on sleep the following night.

 
THE GROUND

THE MEMORIAL GROUND is a beautifully kept venue. It's very pleasant to spend a warm evening but as it is quite open, might get a bit chilly in winter. There are two small stands, one seated, one standing. The rest of the ground is flat standing. One side is really strange as people's back gardens back directly onto the pitch. There's also a decent amount of parking around.

At the ground is a bar which does food and drink. Further afield, a few minutes walk away is a decent looking pub called the Ye Olde Cherry Tree which does food and also a decent range of real ales and ciders. Next door is Domingo's Tapas Bar - which comes highly recommended by Alan Partridge. 



No comments:

Post a Comment