Friday 26 July 2024

Cray Wanderers - Flamingo Park


Cray Wanderers FC
Flamingo Park
Sidcup By-Pass
Chislehurst 
BR7 6HL





Ground Number: 1324
Friday 26th July 2024
Cray Wanderers 0-6 Crystal Palace
Friendly





CRAY WANDERERS FC - A BRIEF HISTORY

Cray Wanderers is the oldest club in London and one of the oldest in football, established in 1860. The club emerged from lunchtime kick-abouts between St. Mary Cray villagers and labourers constructing a railway viaduct across the Cray Valley in northwest Kent. Soon a ground was laid out – on what is now Star Lane Cemetery – and matches were played against Army teams and other local villages. Known as St Mary's Cray originally, they were first referred to as Cray Wanderers around 1887, It was around this time they turned professional and were a feeder or nursery club for Wolliwch Arsenal. They were founder members of the Kent League Division 2 in 1894 and won promotion to Division 1 after a 3rd-placed finish in 1896. They were champions of the league in 1902 but left soon after. Following the end of the first World War, they joined the London League. Twice runners-up, they were champions in 1957 & 1958 before leaving for the Aeotolian League in 1960 which they won three years later. A spell in the Metropolitan League followed before Cray joined the London Spartan League in 1975. They won the title in 1977 and 1978 before returning to the Kent League. They were long-time members here, winning the title another three times before being able to take promotion in 2004. They joined the Isthmian Division 1 South and were runners-up in 2009. Crawy beat Worthing and Met Police in the playoffs to gain promotion to the Isthmian Premier. Two 9th place finishes were achieved in their first spell before they were relegated in 2014. Back in Division 1 South, they missed out in the playoffs in 2018 before being crowned champions in 2019. A best-ever 5th-place finish in 2023 was achieved before Cray lost out to Hornchurch in the playoff semi-finals.


Cray Wanderers have twice reached the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round in 2006 and 2021. They entered the first-ever FA Amateur Cup competition in 1895, having a best-ever run to the 3rd Round in 1968. The 2021/22 season saw the club's record FA Trophy run as they reached the 3rd Round, beating Ebbsfleet United amongst others before losing to Dartford. The club also has two FA Vase Quarter Finals to their name. Local honours include the Kent Senior Trophy twice and three Kent Amateur Cups. Cray started playing football at Star Lane, St Mary Cray, now a cemetery. After playing at numerous other grounds in St Mary Cray and Foots Cray, Cray played at Grassmeade from 1954 to 1973, after which they moved to Oxford Road, Sidcup. Unfortunately for the club, in 1998 the Kent League ruled that clubs must have floodlighting. As Cray were unable to have lights installed, they were forced to move out and share with Bromley, where they remained unto the end of last season. Flans for a new ground at Sandy Lane, Orpington were mooted in 2008 with a target of moving in by 2014, However, these were rejected by the council due to the commercial aspect attached to the plans. A scaled-down version of the plans were submitted to purchase Flamingo Park Sports Centre, historically in Foots Cray parish on the A20 Sidcup bypass. This was initially approved in 2016 but later rejected by the Mayor Of London. Revised plans were finally approved in 2018. Work on the ground began in August 2023 and the women's team played a game earlier this year when it was little more than a pitch with changing rooms. The ground fully opened for pre-season, ready for the start of this season.


MY VISIT

I always love a bit of Friday night football and so I was glad when Cray Wanderers announced that they would be playing a Friendly against Crystal Palace on this day. Cray Wanderers were one of the most historic clubs but this was the first time in their 164-year history that they would own their ground. They had led a nomadic existence up until this point and although the ground was around five miles from their first home, it was still a mile closer to 'home' than their groundshare at Bromley. Their initial plan was to be located around a mile from their original base at Sandy Lane in Orpington, but this never got over the line. One thing a lot of these places had in common, and indeed Benfleet tomorrow was the lack of decent pubs in the area. Needing to find somewhere to eat, Wetherspoons seemed ideal. I had six possibilities, but even the nearest one was an hour away adding significant time to my journey.


From a great day in Dartford, it was a stop at the Ciderdog Festival near London Bridge. A sensible four halves were enjoyed. They were not as good as the Ross Cider I'd had earlier, so it was easy to head for home via Taco Bell for some tasty and well-priced food. I was back in just after 8 and had a relaxed couple of cans before bed. Sunday was another grueller in a packed shop full of families. It'll be more of the same with the school holidays, for me, it would be another 54 days until I had more than one day off in a row. After being tired recently, I left Runwell Sports for a Saturday and revisited Flackwell Heath on Tuesday. It was the usual walk to town & back in the morning before continued frustration at trying to pin down a plan for my September trip. TV schedulers are the main culprit, dragging their heels over which games they want to show. In the end, I finally managed to get something pinned down for both the Czech Republic at the weekend and Belfast in the week before.
The day of the game came and it was the end of a tiring week at work. Friday, as ever, was brutal and I was glad I got out on time. I was looking forward to my one-day weekend and had enough time for a rest at home before I needed to go out. I left at 2.50 and was at the station ten minutes before my intended train. However, the half-hourly service was cancelled without apology or explanation. Thankfully I had built in plenty of time but it was annoying to be wasting valuable free time. After 25 minutes wait, I got the Chiltern to Marylebone. From carefully laid plans, I was back to deciding everything on the hoof. Google Maps and TFL both threw up unsatisfactory routes when I checked at Amersham. So I jumped forward in time and navigated from Marylebone with the latter. That threw up something far better and I should only arrive at Spoons 15 minutes later than originally planned. I've been ploughing through audiobooks lately, and especially some excellent time travel novels by Keith A Pearson. I often wish I could go back to around 1993 for my last couple of years at school. I'd then attempt to get a a career as a journalist or writer rather than a draining job. The temptation would be to go back to 89/90 to visit Wycombe's Loakes Park, but I couldn't be arsed with starting from such a young age. In any case, my first football memories are cherished and the memories or results and events for betting would keep me well off, even if I didn't get my desired career.
Due to a delay on my train, I had to get my skates on to jog to Baker Street and the Jubilee to London Bridge. The noisy packed sweatbox does its job and with a bit of pace, I am the platform I need four minutes before my departure. London Bridge is one of my favourite places for a pint but I've little time to spare. My Spotify audiobook time runs out and so I treat myself to the title on Audible. I'm buoyed by winning an Abertillery Bluebirds shirt on Twitter, I'm told at odds of 141-1. Nice. I am at Wetherspoons 345, The Sovereign Of The Seas by 5.30. My first drink in six days tastes great, a bottle of Aspalls with Shawarma Wrap and chips is just £6.67. The wrap is great, though the chips have seen better days. The pub name origin is described thus: For more than 200 years, the Petts family was the country’s leading shipbuilder. In 1634, Phineas Pett designed Sovereign of the Seas, for Charles I. The finest ship of her age, she sailed the seas until catching fire in 1697. I order a pint of Strongbow for £2.64 on the updated but less intuitive app. In the week, I lost my visit history and had to spend ages putting it all back in. It was disappointing to do so on a downgraded app. The service is not the quickest with the pub being busy, so I will be seeking a later train or bus than planned, exacerbated by the earlier delay. I leave at 6.15, taking a bus only route, costing me five minutes but saving me £3 on the peak fare. Chislehurst station saw a ten minute wait but I'd be well in time for the game. The wait turns to 15 minutes but I was still well on schedule. I was at the ground by 7.15. I'd got my ticket for £10 online. The first face I saw was M-Tac or Adam as he is better known. It was nice to catch up. It was also nice to try a pint of London Cider, an excellent drop from Westons and a sensible strength. The ground was OK but the extras were superb, a bar with imagination in the drinks and the food was decent too. I also raided the club shop for pen, programme and a couple of books for £8. Also some chips.
Palace started on the front foot. They'd convincingly beaten Braintree in the week, so it was no shock when they took the lead after five minutes from close range. Caleb Redhead added his and his team's second ten minutes later. On 24 minutes, Palace led 3-0, Cowin smashed in a rebound after an initial shot had been parried. On 51 minutes, Cray were awarded a penalty. It was smacked against the bar though and the rebound blasted over. The young visitors made it 4-0 on the hour, a well-worked move, finished by Seb Williams. The goal of the game made it 5-0 on 73 minutes, Matteo Dashi with a superb left foot curling shot from 20 yards. Cray had a couple of chances late on, but they couldn't convert. Willliams added a sixth in the last minute as Palace ran riot.
The Palace side had been superb, I remember about ten years ago, their youth team was a rich seam for lower league players on the game Football Manager. Lots of retro shirts were on display and Palace certainly have had some brilliant players down the years. The less said about their former manager Alan Smith's impact on Wycombe, the better though, our worst manager ever. An attendance of 707 was present and it was certainly a good night. It was around a 20-minute walk to New Eltham Station for the half-hourly service to London Bridge. I had around ten minutes to wait for the 22:07. All being well, I'd get my blog up and be back home this side of midnight. It was a great start, a lovely empty train and a carriage to myself. A refreshing change from the busy journey to the game. It was not as I hoped. TFL Go was far too optimistic about getting back to Harrow On The Hill for 22:09, especially with my Metropolitan line train delayed. I got the 22:25 Metropolitan, meaning a delay of around 25 minutes but I was still back at Amersham pre-midnight.
THE GROUND

FLAMINGO PARK SPORTS GROUND is a decent setup for the level. Located 20 minutes from New Eltham Station and with plenty of parking, the ground is reasonable. There is some terracing set back from the pitch behind one goal. There is also a stand holding around 300 seated with some covered standing too. The food service is OK, a good choice but variable service and availability. The two highlights are the downstairs bar with unusual drinks on draught. Also a good value club shop, temporary but with a good range of varied items at good value prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment