Thursday, 12 January 2012

Stevenage Borough - Broadhall Way


Stevenage Borough FC
Broadhall Way
Stevenage
Herts
SG2 8RH

01438 223 223


Matchday Number: 44
Saturday 25th September 1999
Stevenage Borough 0-1 Kingstonian
Nationwide Conference


My first visit to Broadhall Way came in September 1999 for their Conference game against Kingstonian. The main reason for going was to check out a number of ex Wycombe and players loaned from Wycombe. I can remember Gary Wraight (loanee) and Gary Patterson, there were others but I can't recall who at the moment. I went with my brother and in an uneventful game, Kingstonian won 1-0.

Several years later in 2008, Stevenage were still in the Conference, whilst Wycombe were in League 2. The Blues went to Broadhall Way for a Friday night pre season friendly. Wycombe won 2-1 with goals from Scott McGleish and Chris Zebroski. 2 years later Wycombe again went there, only this time in a League game. This time they again were 2-0 victors. Kevin Betsy and Stuart Beavon scored as Wycombe racked up an easy victory. This was very welcome as Wycombe were having a poor start to the season and were only in mid table.

BROADHALL WAY has remained unchanged on all but one side, between my visits there. The one that has changed is the away end. Initially it was an uncovered terrace on my first visit there, but on my other 2 visits it was a covered stand, holding around 1500. To it's left is another stand, holding around 2000, this was where I sat on my first game there. The other 2 sides are covered terraces, and all in all it is a smart ground which is a pleasure to visit. There is an excellent pub nearby, called "Our Mutual Friend" which does real ales and ciders. This pub does food as well, which is almost certainly better than the other nearby options - a burger van and a Burger King.













No comments:

Post a Comment