Thursday, 8 December 2011

Peterborough United - London Road

Peterborough United FC
London Road

01733 865674

Matchday Number: 55
Saturday 24th February 2001
Peterbrough United 3-2 Wycombe Wanderers
Nationwide League Division 2

I have been to London Road on several occasions over the years, and it has become one of my favourite away games. Sadly the 2 clubs have grown apart in recent years and it looks as though the only chance of a meeting is in a cup game. And it was in the midst of a cup run that I made my first visit to the Posh's home. Wycombe were in the middle of their famous FA Cup run to the semi final and had just played the most exciting game of that run, beating the original Wimbledon team on penalties at Selhurst Park after extra time. This is the best game of football I have ever seen, and will be covered elsewhere on this blog. So on a high after their cup exploits, Wycombe roared into a 2 goal lead within 14 minutes. It was not to last though, the Chairboys showing obvious signs of tiredness as they eventually lost the game 3-2.

But I am going to focus on our last visit there, which came in October 2007. A game in which Wycombe should have had at least a share of the spoils was totally ruined by an utterly incompetent refereeing performance from clown prince RichardBeeby.

As if totally inept performances in the away games againstAccrington & Franchise last season was not enough, he proceeded to give an almost totally biased performance toPeterborough United in this afternoon's game, which had been re-arranged from the original Saturday date, due to the International games.

It was Peterborough who started the brightest, unaided by the referee with Craig Mackail-Smith the main culprit when it came to missed chances. Wycombe's first real chance was 14 minutes into the game, with John Sutton narrowly missing his lob over the home keeper Jalal. Chances came and went, Peterborough even having a penalty claim when the ball hit Johnson's arm but it was goalless at the break.

Peterborough took the lead shortly after half time when after poor Wycombe defending, George Boyd slotted the ball home from inside the area. A foul on Sergio Torres presented Wycombe with a free kick and Russell Martin was unlucky to only hit the bar with a great effort. Desperate defending from the resulting melee in the area prevented Wycombe from grabbing a quick equaliser, but they weren't to be denied for long - Torres' great through ball set up Matt Bloomfield to finish with a great shot and it was all square.

Wycombe then pressed further forward, Stefan Oakes unlucky with a powerful drive that just went beyond the far post. George Boyd missed another golden opportunity to regain the lead for Posh but he shot wide when it should have been easier to score. Sergio Torres was then booked for diving after he had a very strong penalty claim. Worse still for Wycombe the resulting break in play gavePeterborough the opportunity to grab a late winner, a real kick in the teeth for Wycombe on an afternoon where hardly any decisions seemed to go their way.

LONDON ROAD is a fantastic ground and one of my favourites. It may not be flashy like some of the new grounds, but it is a great place to watch football. Both home and away fans get a large terrace each, holding around 3000 fans per end. The only drawback is that the steps are a bit shallow, which means shortarses like me may have trouble seeing the game in a crowd. Luckily I have had no problems so far though. The other 2 stands are seated, 1 new and 1 old, but both offer a good view.

The ground is near the town centre, but if you walk in the opposite direction towards the sugar factory, you will find the Cherry Tree pub, which does nice food and Scrumpy Jack cider.

No comments:

Post a Comment