Friday 26 April 2024

Aberbargoed Buds - Recreation Ground


Aberbargoed Buds FC
Bedwellty Road
Bargoed
Caerphilly
CF81 9AY

01443 268190








Ground Number: 1302
Friday 26th April 2024
Aberbargoed Buds 0-1 Newport City
Ardal South East








ABERBARGOED BUDS FC - A BRIEF HISTORY

Aberbargoed Buds was founded in 1957 after the previous team in the area, Aberbargoed Town, folded in 1949. The Buds, believed to be an abbreviation of 'Bedwellty Urban District Sides' the name of a nearby village with an adjacent road also having the name. They began playing in the West Monmouthshire League before moving to the Gwent County League. They won the Division 1 title in 1985, 2003 & 2006. After their latter triumph, they joined the Welsh League and were Division 3 champions in 2010. In 2013, Aberbargoed finished as runners-up to Goytre and won promotion to Division 1. They yo-yo'd between the divisions for four seasons, though failed to recover during the 2016/17 season, nearly suffering a double relegation. The 15th place finishes in Division 1 in 2014 represents their best ever, being at step 2 of the Welsh system. Various restructures have occurred in recent years. In 2022, they went down to step 4 Gwent County League after suffering a 30-point deduction due to the otherwise excellent Comet system failing to spot an ineligible player. They recovered to win the title, losing just once in all of last season.


Local cup wins include three Gwent County Cups, three Gwent Amateur Cups and three Gwent Senior Cups. Aberbargoed is a town in the County Borough of Caerphilly. It once contained the largest ever colliery waste tip in Europe, although this has now been reclaimed and turned into a country park. Coal mining operations in Bargoed Colliery started in 1897 when the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Company started to sink the shaft. In 1901, the "Ras Las" nine-foot seam was discovered at a depth of 625 yards. The north and south shafts were completed. In November 1903, Sir Alfred Thomas, MP for East Glamorgan, started the engines to raise the first four trams of coal. By 1910, the pit was employing 1,943 miners and was the largest coal mine in the Rhymney Valley. On 10 December 1908, it broke the world record for production when a ten-hour shift produced 3,562 tons of coal. It further broke its own record on 23 April 1909 when 4,020 tons were raised in a ten-hour shift. Bargoed Colliery closed on 4 June 1977. By this time, only 360 men were employed there. The town is within the historic boundaries of Monmouthshire. Aber refers to a "confluence" or "mouth" of a river and bargod is a "border". The population is just over 9,000.


MY VISIT

This game was only suggested on Wednesday night and decided upon the following morning. Having lost my game at CB Hounslow United on Friday due to rescheduling, I was keen to do a game on Friday night, especially with me going to Wycombe Wanderers v Charlton Athletic on Saturday. It would also be a sober Friday night for me, having had a couple of pints on Wednesday instead. The English leagues were not as keen on Friday night football as I'd like, so it was once more over the border to South Wales where choices were plentiful. I decided that if fellow hopper Daniel could get himself to me, then I would be happy to drive. He agreed and therefore, it would be the first time I had given him a lift since 2017. With there not much East of him that I needed and him learning to drive, there was no need. He had given me seven lifts in return, though not as many as the seventeen I'd given him. He'd been happy to share the driving in Richard's car though and put the wear and tear on that with it's better fuel economy so we were probably about equal having had 18 lifts in his car. Despite giving the other passenger Colin 126 lifts, I'd yet to benefit from his disabled railcard as the only time we could have used it, he left it at home. Overall, I've given 580 lifts and had 35 in return, understandable with all of my regular companions being non-drivers.


I was quite tired after two late nights in a row but did all my research on Thursday. I was asleep around 9.30 and woke ten minutes before my 5am alarm. I got petrol before work and of course, it was a very busy day. I gave up some of my break to help out and there wasn't much stuff to do. It was still a case of rats deserting a sinking ship though as many had weekend plans. Normally, I'd stay on, but I consider football and mates more important than corporate interests. I had a quick sandwich before I left, a pretty decent Cheddar Ploughmans. Daniel had picked up Colin and they were half an hour late but at least it gave me time to rest and type this part of the blog. It was another five minutes for Daniel to get food although Colin had walked off and left him as he was struggling to keep up with him. Eventually, at 2.40 we got away but we had time to kill. It was a mixed journey with the M4 being a right pain. Colin slept most of the way but we were there at 6.10. We got some pictures and paid for our entry before going for a curry. It was a bit of a faff having to pay by bank transfer. Colin had forgotten how to do it despite transferring me petrol money a few hours earlier. The Chicken Kheema Jhal, rice and samosas were superb for £14.40, one of the best curries I have had and so good that it won't be added to my football costs. We stopped near the ground to eat it, Colin enjoying his korma and Daniel his mixed grill for two with chips. We were back at the ground at 7, and I was able to get on with my blog.
Aberbargoed Buds were in 9th place but well clear of the relegation places. They had lost their last six games, the latest a 1-0 defeat at Chepstow Town almost a fortnight ago. This run included a 3-0 win for Newport City in the reverse game. They lead the league and were all set for promotion to the Cymru South, should they obtain a licence. They'd won their last fourteen games and were unbeaten since mid-September. Their last game was a rollercoaster 5-4 win over Penrhyncoch in the FAW Trophy Final. Given that they were on a terrible run, Aberbargoed looked solid in defence in a game of few chances early on. It appeared as if the hosts were playing for a draw, the classic timewasting tactics that I'd seen so many times from a Gareth Ainsworth Wycombe side. It took a superb save from the home keeper to deny Newport City around the hour mark. They were knocking on the door but Aberbargoed were dangerous on the break. Eventually, on 82 minutes, Newport City bundled the ball home, netting from a rebound, the goal credited to Calum Bateman. Aberbargoed Buds were unlucky not to get a draw in the end but Newport's persistence paid off.


 Daniel cashed in on his Twitter noteriety by standing with his newly formed teenage fan club all game. For me, it was a chance to wear my Newport City hat they had kindly sent me in the post. I was glad to see them doing so well and they will be a real asset to the Cymru South should they go up. We left at around 9.40 and made good time on the way back. I was glad to drop my two passengers off at Wycombe at 12.05 and was home twenty minutes later, sticking all of my clothes in the wash and typing my blog. It would be an early start game-wise tomorrow with Wycombe Wanderers v Charlton Athletic kicking off at 12.30 for the benefit of Sky TV. It was a pain but I'd not be setting an alarm having been up at 5 am most days this week.


THE GROUND

THE RECREATION GROUND is a basic but pleasant ground with nice views. The only cover is a metal seated stand, holding 50. There are basic food and drink facilities, but no bar that I could see. Parking is available at the club or on the roads. Less than ten minutes away is the main street with shops and an excellent Indian takeaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment