Saturday 7 September 2024

Exmouth Town - Southern Road


Exmouth Town FC
Southern Road,
Exmouth
Devon
EX8 3EE

01395 263348








Ground Number: 1341
Saturday 7th September 2024
Exmouth Town 4-1 Kidlington
FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round







EXMOUTH TOWN FC - A BRIEF HISTORY

The club was established in 1933. For the first 15 years of their history, it was local football and wartime before they joined the Exeter & District League Premier Division in 1948. Their best finish came in 1950 when they finished as runners-up to St Luke's College. By 1958. Exmouth Town finished bottom of the league and were relegated to local football for three seasons. Returning in 1961, the club finished 3rd in 1973 and won promotion to the Western League. Three seasons were spent here before they were relegated to the newly formed Division 1. They recovered eventually and by 1982, finished as runners-up to Shepton Mallet Town to return to the Premier Division. Exmouth were champions in 1984 & 1986 and would finish as runners-up in 1987 & 1989, only missing out on goal difference to Saltash United on the latter occasion. However, 1994 would bring relegation and they'd have to wait until 2003 when a runners-up spot behind Tottington was good enough for promotion. Two 5th-place finishes was a solid start back to life in the top tier but they resigned from the league midway through the 2005/06 season due to financial issues. The following season Exmouth joined the Devon and Exeter League Premier Division, finishing 3rd and earning promotion to the South West Peninsula League Division One East. They were champions in 2013, winning promotion to the Premier Division. In 2019, they returned to the Western Premier following a runners-up spot behind Tavistock. They were runners-up again behind Tavistock in 2022 and this was good enough for promotion to the Southern League Division 1 South where they remain to this day.


Exmouth Town have reached the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round twice - in 1989 and 1990. On the latter occasion, they needed four games to overcome Taunton Town and even giant-killed Weymouth before losing to Farnborough Town. They have an unremarkable record in the FA Trophy but reached the FA Vase semi-final in 1985, losing to Fleetwood Town over two legs. Local cup wins include the Western League Les Phillips Cup in 1989, the Devon Senior Cup in 1951, three Devon St Lukes Challenge Cups, three Devon Premier Cups, three East Devon Senior Cups and the Morrison Bell Cup on eight occasions. On the 28 July 1987 they recorded their highest home attendance of 2,395 for a match against Liverpool, just beating the 2,012 that turned up for the home leg against Fleetwood Town in the FA Vase semi. Exmouth is a port town and seaside resort situated on the east bank of the mouth of the River Exe, 11 miles southeast of Exeter. In 2011 it had a population of 34,432, making Exmouth the 5th most populous settlement in Devon. Sir Walter Raleigh (born 1544) sailed on many of his voyages from Exmouth Harbour.


MY VISIT

Originally on this Saturday, I was looking forward to another trip to Adams Park to watch Wycombe Wanderers v Mansfield Town. Due to the way the fixtures had fallen and my employer's requirement that I nominate my holiday weeks well in advance, I'd had to choose well before the fixtures came out. They didn't fall too kindly when they did and there was no way I would spend my rare weekends off at home. So when it was announced that the game was off, just a week before due to international call-ups, I had mixed feelings. It would be a long time between Wycombe games for me but with my early starts at work, I was glad of midweek games at Wycombe. An unexpected groundhop would not be bad either. I used Futbology to list my possibilities - I was hoping for a step 1-6 game or a step 7 in a league I was close to completing. I wanted one on public transport with some decent pubs and I wanted to save any 3G pitches for the bad weather. I'd also prefer a cup game. The ideal game was Exmouth Town v Kidlington - provided I could get a place on their supporters coach. Yes, I would have to drive to their ground to pick the coach up, but it was worth it. There were a number of decent pubs in Exmouth and the coach was leaving at a sensible hour so I messaged them to see if I could hop on. Happily, they replied in the affirmative and I started to look forward to it.


It had been a busy week organising future plans with me putting the finishing touches to my North East and Czech Republic / Poland trips. I also started a new one for my Switzerland and France trip in October. The biggest ballache was finding suitable accommodation with reasonable reviews, a good location, and a sensible price. I got there, but only after many hours of searching and working things out. It was my usual day off on Tuesday, in the evening I went to the FA Cup replay between Amersham Town and Athletic Newham. This was an excellent end-to-end game with Amersham winning 1-0. The attendance of 181 was about three times what they usually get with plenty coming out for the magic of the FA Cup.  Wednesday brought disappointment upon seeing the Football Traveller. I planned a trip next Friday to see long-term target West Auckland Town, only to discover that the game had been rescheduled for whatever reason. Luckily, I was able to change my accommodation (at the cost of an extra £27 for a far better room mind) to go to another game, but with the greatest respect, Boro Rangers was a bit of a downgrade. I also incurred extra costs with my Switzerland trip, upgrading to a better hotel. It's fair to say the credit card has taken a bit of a hammering in the past few days until I got paid on Friday.
A hard week ended with a fairly relaxed Friday and a few drinks. I was pleased Holmer Green Development were at home. A few drinks were enjoyed with the ground being a mile from home and my £4 got me an entertaining 5-3 win for Woodstock Town ACE. It's nearly three hours lie in compared to work when I wake up at 6.45. I get my things together and have a quick breakfast and leave at 7.10. I stop at Sainsbury's in Kidlington en route as at 135.9, it's 6p a litre cheaper than when I last filled up a week ago. I park up and get chatting to some friendly fans and players. As I suspected, it's the players coach, meaning a delay getting home after but the cost versus public transport wins. Minimising the cost by going from Reading would bring the cost down to £87.40, plus the £6 bus fares to get there and home. It's good to have a double seat to myself and we get away just after 8.30. It's the second time I've traveled on the Kidlington team coach, having been with them to Taunton in 2018. That was when they were in the Southern League D1 West, a similar position to Didcot Town now. I'll certainly try and look at their fixtures to aid a trip to the West.
 

It was a decent journey and we stopped at Sedgemoor. The driver only wants 20 minutes but the players want more so as not to get to the ground too early. It's not a terrible services, though it's no Gloucester services either. Prices are a mix of rip-off and very reasonable so I settle for a bag of brownie bites for £1, the same as a normal shop. We leave after 35 minutes meaning a decent amount of time in Exmouth, all being well.  My Magzster subscription (under £40 for three years due to my VPN placing me in India) keeps me entertained and Viz, Retro Gamer, Late Tackle and FourFourTwo ensure the journey passes quickly. The coach driver does a great job navigating the cramped roads for the last few miles. We arrive at 12.30 and it's straight into town. First stop is Wetherspoons 342 - The Powder Monkey where I grab one of the few tables. I order steak, chips, Halloumi fries and a pint of Black Dragon for £18.33. Pensioners make up a substantial amount of the clientele. It's a good Spoons by normal standards, though others in Devon have more boxed ciders so it'll be just the one pint here. The meal was great, especially the steak. Second up, the Bicton Inn, a lovely traditional pub with a great selection of ciders and decent music. I opted for a pint of Silly Cow at £3.80. This was decent. Finally, The First and Last Inn was good. More modern music here but still a good varied selection. Here, a pint of Sandford Orchard Devon Scrumpy was £4.10. I could hear the Kidlington fans some 15 minutes away from the pub garden. All three pubs completed, it was a 15-minute trudge back to the ground through the inconsiderate weather. £10 entry was reasonably decent.
It was a matchup between teams from each of the Southern League Division 1's - Exmouth Town from the South and Kidlington from the Central. Last season the teams met in Oxfordshire with Kidlington triumphing 2-1 in the same competition. 160 miles separated the clubs by road. Exmouth were the better side in the form stakes, sitting 7th. They'd beaten Thatcham Town 3-0 and Bideford 2-0 but had  drawn 3-3 at Melksham Town and lost 1-0 at Yate Town. Kidlington were struggling in 18th, their only point coming in their latest game, a 1-1 draw against Hertford Town. They'd lost 1-0 to Kings Langley, 4-2 at Beaconsfield Town and 5-0 at Thame United. Kidlington took the lead in the opening minute to the delight of their support, Frazer Allen. Then on 8 minutes McCue spoiled the party by equalising, in off the post. Exmouth were always the most likely winners and they took the lead on 26 minutes through Griffith. It was still the same at halftime but the 65th to 70th minutes saw Exmouth seal the deal with a penalty and a close-range finish. to see them lead 4-1/ The weather was dismal but the Kidlington fans remained in good spirits. No further goals, but a good day, Bulldog and his lad providing infectious enthusiasm.


THE GROUND

SOUTHERN ROAD is a decent venue for the level. There are a few bits of cover, terracing behind one goal and along one side. There's also seating for 150 due to the obligatory metal stands. The rest of the ground is open although the bar and tar bar do have some overhang. Both have a decent range, Sandford Orchards in the case of the bar and good chips for food. Parking is plentiful. The pleasant town of Exmouth is a short walk away with something to suit all tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment