Friday 13 September 2024

Boro Rangers - Phoenix Park



Boro Rangers FC  
Phoenix Park
156 Saltersgill Avenue
Middlesbrough 
TS4 3JW






Ground Number: 1343
Friday 13th September 2024
Boro Rangers 3-1 Northallerton Town
Northern League D1








BORO RANGERS FC - A BRIEF HISTORY

The club was established in 2003, playing in local football until joining the Teeside League in 2014. They were Division 2 runners-up to Redcar Town in their first season, arning promotion to Division 1 which they won in 2016 & 2017. The league was then merged into the North Riding League where Boro Rangers continued their success, winning the title five times on the trot although two of those seasons were declared null and void due to the pandemic. By 2022, they had a groundshare agreement, firstly at New Ferens Park in Durham and later at Stokesley Sports Club to allow them to take promotion to the Northern League. They won Division 2 at the first attempt, celebrating by finally getting a suitable home of their own. Last season they finished 7th in the Northern League Division 1 and remain there for this season.


In the FA Cup, the club got it's first win at the second attempt this season, beating West Allotment Celtic 3-0 before losing 1-0 to Tadcaster Albion in the Preliminary Round. They will also be hoping for their first win in the FA Vase at the third attempt this season following their first attempt against Newton Aycliffe being scratched and then last season they lost 4-2 at Tadcaster Albion.
MY VISIT

For my first weekend off work of the season, I decided to partake in my annual trip to the North East. I chose this weekend over the next one as myself and fellow hopper Colin had a decent time last year and he insisted that he would come and couldn't make it the following week. However, I booked all of my transport on 1st August, but after a month of dithering, he found that prices had gone up. His dawdling also saw my accommodation options limited and I had to take what I could get for the Saturday. The only reasonably priced option for the Saturday that didn't get dismal reviews was in Whitley Bay and non-refundable at that. I was fine with that initially, but the next day, I discovered that there had been a change to Friday's plans too and I regretted rushing in.
Originally, I had been planning to go to West Auckland Town v Crook Town. The hosts were steeped in history, the first winners of an unofficial World Cup back in 1911. This was a story immortalised in a TV movie starring Tim Healy, more famous for playing Dennis in Auf Weidersehen Pet. It was also a great ground. So I was delighted when I found out West Auckland Town were at home on Friday and based my decision to go to the Nort East on that. However, when I checked the Football Traveller just over a week before, there was no sign of the game. This was due to Crook Town progressing in the FA Cup, having been to this friendly club, there were no hard feelings and I was pleased for them. The only saving grace was that I was able to cancel my room in Bishop Auckland before the weeks' notice required to avoid losing my deposit. The good thing was that there was an alternative in Boro Rangers with a revisit to Redcar Town as a backup. The disappointing thing was that the ground was not the most inspiring, just a 3G cage. Accommodation was soon sorted, initially at Travelodge for £57 but then I saw a place that I stayed at before for £33. It was with a shared bathroom but that was fine last time out and saved me £24. There was also a late candidate in Seaham Red Star v West Auckland Town and this was quite tempting, though after travelling all day, I'd probably stick with Boro Rangers.

Once I'd got a tired Wednesday out of the way, it was just one remaining day at work before my time off. The upcoming break didn't come as much of a relief as I had expected after all that waiting but at least it meant the day went reasonably quickly. I was pleased when the time to come home came and although I had a couple of 3G pitches, I was glad to see that the weather was looking rotten for the next two weekends. But that was a bridge to cross when I came to it. Just out of interest, I bookmarked the leagues on Flashscore so I could get an idea of what might occur next week. I had a few drinks to unwind and got an early night. My body clock woke me at my normal work time so I watched TV for a bit before getting up when my alarm went off. Rather than the 40 minutes it takes me on a work day, I was dressed and out in ten minutes. I was surprised that I had to scrape ice off of my windscreen, a sign that winter was coming. I drove to Colin's and parked up before walking the 25 minutes to the station. I stopped at Tesco for breakfast - a ploughman's sarnie, energy drink and Tony's Chocolonely bar for £3.60. I then got the Chiltern line to Marylebone, the train busy but quiet. I'm disappointed to see that the venue for tomorrow's over 40's game has changed as I was looking forward to a trip to Seaton Carew. I think I'll have to change as it's an inconvenient location to get to on public transport. The train across London to Victoria is slow but I built in plenty of time and get to Victoria Coach Station half an hour before departure. 
It's an obligatory lamb samosa at the 'Treats' shop, a bargain at £2.65 and it tastes even better than usual. The coach is on time but I'm disappointed not to get a double seat to myself due to it being a busy service. Roads are busy too and we suffer half an hour delay getting out of London. I hear that the next two weeks of fixtures of the top two leagues are cancelled in the Czech Republic which further adds to my doubt that my intended game will go ahead. With that in mind, I cancel my hotel and change to one that can be cancelled at any time. It's not as good as the original and pricier but you can cancel anytime, rather than a week in advance. We stop in Leeds for half an hour so the driver can have his break. I consider getting something to eat but after a substantial breakfast, I'm not really hungry. It's nice to look around the market though. We leave just after 2 and arrive in Darlington at 3.35. It's a short walk to wait for the 3.55 bus to Middlesbrough which is the usual £2 fare. I'm in Middlesbrough at 4.50 and at my room by 5.15. The owner is nice and friendly and I get a free room upgrade. I regret not booking for two nights. I drop some luggage off in more than one sense, leaving around 5.40. It's 35 minutes walk to my pre-match pub, the Saltersgill where I have a pint of Strongbow for £3.80. I walk past Brian Clough's childhood home at 11 Valley Road which has a plaque to commemorate the fact. It's another Middlesbrough institution that I am craving and it's not long before I work up an appetite for a Parmo. The Inferno Parmo from Fernando's is fantastic and the half-size fills me right up. It's then an offy before I make my way to the ground, paying £7 to get in. Not the greatest of venues but a friendly club and an excellent set of young fans supporting their team.

 

Boro Rangers had enjoyed a great start and sat top of the league. Their last game was a 1-1 draw against Kendal Town. Northallerton Town were in 12th, last time out they lost 3-0 to Marske United. Boro Rangers went on to dominate proceedings with Northallerton Town restricted to chances on the break. A couple of great saves from the visiting keeper paid off as on the last minute of the first half, a quick well worked move on the break saw them go ahead through James O'Brien. The second half starts slowly but Stuart Rose equalises on 68 minutes, bundling the ball home. The hosts soon take the lead, more attacking play, a ball from the left and Matthew Lovatt forces the ball home. Boro sealed it in the last minute, Rose with his second following a good move down the left.
THE GROUND

PHOENIX PARK is not the most exciting venue, It amounts to less than two sides, the only cover provided by three metal stands, around 100 seating and 50 standing. Printed programmes are available, as is a decent range of food and cans outside the ground, The club are friendly and the young enthusiastic fans who get behind the team are excellent. There's a decent amount of parking, the town is 40 minutes walk or a bus ride away.

No comments:

Post a Comment