Saturday 2 March 2024

Garstang - The Riverside


Garstang FC 
The Riverside
High Street
Garstang 
Preston
Lancashire
PR3 1FU

07967 337411








Ground Number: 1268
Saturday 2nd March 2024
Garstang 3-2 Ashton Town
North West Counties D1 North







GARSTANG FC - A BRIEF HISTORY

The club was established in 1885. They became members of the Preston & District League and remained members of the league until 1994 when they moved up to Division 2 of the West Lancashire League. The division was renamed Division 1 in 1998 and in 2000 Garstang finished as runners-up behind Padiham to earn promotion to the Premier Division. Garstang would last a couple of seasons here before being relegated back in 2002. Another promotion was won in 2007, this time as runners-up behind Poulton Town. They went on to win the Premier Division in 2008 but were relegated again in 2012. They bounced back at the first time of asking as runners-up to Norcross & Warbreck. Garstang won the Premier Division again in 2018 and this time had the facilities planned to win promotion. They have been in the North West Counties Division 1 North ever since. They had their best finish in their first season when they placed 7th.


Garstang FC made their FA Vase bow in 2018. They beat AFC Darwen and Swallownest before losing to Sunderland RCA in the 2nd Round. They have lost every game in the competition since but have had some success in local cups. Wins include the Preston & District League Guildhall Cup in 1927, the Lancashire Amateur Shield in 2000, the West Lancs Presidents Cup in 2000 and the Richardson Cup in 2018. The club's record attendance came in September 2021 when their game against Bury attracted 552 fans. Garstang is an ancient market town within the Wyre borough of Lancashire. It is ten miles from both Preston and Lancaster and has a population of just under 7,000. Garstang's traditional market day on Thursdays dates back to the early 1300s and stretches the length of the street. The Market Cross at the top of the High Street is one of the most familiar landmarks in the area. It is referenced in episode 5 of the first series of the comedy Phoenix Nights. Brian Potter (played by Peter Kay) said "What have you called us? What have you called the best cabaret lounge this side of Garstang?" about an alternative comedy night being run at his fictional club.


MY VISIT

For the second game on Saturday, I was in a real dilemma. Bamber Bridge was a club high on my to-do list as they were one of just two teams to complete the NPL Premier. The train fare was typically expensive unless you booked well in advance. This was always risky, given the rotten and unpredictable weather in this country. For that reason, I had them pencilled in for a long time. However, the day before, I changed my mind and decided to stick with the hop game at Garstang. The reason for this was I had only done the second half at the 5 PM game at Squires Gate. Back in July 2022, myself and fellow hopper Colin had spent the weekend in Blackpool. All three of the non-league clubs in Blackpool were at home - Blackpool Wren Rovers, Squires Gate and AFC Blackpool. But other than Wren Rovers, they all kicked off at 3 PM.  I decided to watch the whole of the game at the 2 PM game, before going next door to watch the second half of Squires Gate, missing most of the goals in the process. Colin went further, doing a half at each. For that reason, I wanted to see a whole game at Squires Gate as it didn't feel right doing two partial games. I was glad I had seen the whole game at Wren Rovers the first time around.
Due to being forced to book my whole year's holiday at work by the end of March 2023, I was having to miss out on some of this year's hop. I was gutted as it would mean a long drive back from Blackpool on Saturday night, ahead of the most evil day of the week. Sunday is an abhorrent day to work due to the large crowds and families with out-of-control children enjoying their weekly day out. Usually, the day is so pitiful in terms of stuff to do that I can get through by the consolation that I'm missing out on nothing. This Sunday would be different too as I needed both of the grounds and prayers of work being razed to the ground were unlikely to come true. I guess it was my fault for not planning better. The hop calendar is similar each year, but I think my mind was set towards taking my holiday later in March to have a better chance with the weather. The threat of rain and snow would be prominent in this year's hop, so I was just going to make the most of a poor situation and try to enjoy myself and help out clubs.
Google Maps plotted a strange route down some tiny roads from the previous game at Longridge. I was there half an hour before kickoff and managed to find a space on a local road. It was a bit of a walk to the pay entrance as it was around the other side of the ground. The roads were full and I was only in 15 minutes before kick-off. I had a look around and seeing as there were only cans of Thatchers' Gold in the bar for cider drinkers, I gave it the swerve. Food had far more options but it was the usual slow-moving long queue. It got a lot quicker near the end and the chilli and chips were decent for £6, as was the chocolate honeycomb for £2. I learned that Bamber Bridge had been called off by the referee at 1.55 and was glad I'd made the right decision.
Garstang were 16th whilst Ashton Town were 5th. The hosts had lost 4-2 at Ilkley Town in their last game, one of five consecutive defeats. Their last win came on Boxing Day, winning 3-2 at Holker Old Boys. The visitors were in good form, unbeaten in five and had won their last game 2-0 at Steeton. Garstang were well on top and took the lead on 25 minutes, a good shot by Harris Bailey. Eight minutes later, Theo Ball finished off a sweeping move with a low shot. The game was very one-sided and it was 3-0 on 50 minutes, a lovely curling shot by Bailey. On 69 minutes, Ashton pulled one back with a neat run and finish. A few minutes later, it was game on as the visitors further reduced the arrears with a penalty. As the game neared full-time, an Ashton man was pulled down on the edge of the area. The Garstang defender was red carded but the free kick came to nothing. In the end, it was a frantic finish with great saves and last-ditch defending to prevent any further goals.
 

We had already lost the Squires Gate game due to the weather so we would have plenty of time to play with.  I left Garstang at 4, having been glad to see a game after the club worked miracles on the pitch. As I left, Wycombe took the lead against Barnsley. It was a slow journey behind a Fiat 500 that was the colour of spat-out toothpaste and drove at barely half the speed limit along a single carriageway. Wycombe managed to go down 4-2 and have a man sent off. Worse still, the heavens opened and despite the pitch looking great in photos, I was seriously concerned about the game. I was at the ground around 5 and went straight in, paying £6. I went to the bar, got myself a bottle of Magners and typed my morning blog. The prognosis was not good, with several people on the pitch forking and using a leaf blower. Eventually, the game was called off at 6.15 by the referee who had no choice. One side was waterlogged and the ball would not run. Once I'd got my admission money back, I went and got pie, gravy and chips for the bargain price of £5. This was superb and the highlight of a bad few hours. Groundhoppers showed the spirit of the community by descending on the tea hut and making sure no food went to waste. The community spirit was boosted further later on when nearly £1000 was raised in a few hours for Squires Gate to cover their losses for the afternoon. I left just before 7, listening to the Luton Town v Aston Villa game on Radio 5, then after, the phone in. The rain was still biblical until I got way down the M6. I was back home by 10.25, having a few cans and typing my blog before a joyless Sunday.
THE GROUND

THE RIVERSIDE is a smart and pleasant venue in a nice-looking town. The ground is three-sided, but refreshingly, both of the stands are not the standard metal type. They are located on either side of one of the goals and house 50 seated and 50 standing. The bar offers beer on draft and ciders in cans. There was also a food van which offered a good choice. Parking is quite limited due to the compact nature of the town but it should suffice for a normal game.

No comments:

Post a Comment