Tuesday 15 November 2022

London Underground League - Market Road Pitches


The London Underground League
Market Road Football Pitches
Market Road
Islington 
London 
N7 9PL







Ground Number: 1132
Tuesday 15th November
Picadilly Line 2-0 South Western Railway
London Underground League Division 1







FACTS ABOUT THE LONDON UNDERGROUND LEAGUE

The London Underground League was established in 1996 and as the name implies, it is contested by teams made up of various teams from the various departments or lines that make up the London Underground system.

All home games are played at the Market Road pitches, located near Caledonian Road on the Picadilly Line. Other competitions played at this venue include the Islington Midweek League.

The First Division is made up of the following teams: Hammersmith & City, Northern Line, Picadilly Line, London Overground, South Western Railway & Waterloo & City. This has been in existence since 1996, although was mooted in 1993 when the teams played friendlies against each other. 

The Second Division is made up of the following teams: Victoria Line, British Transport Police, Tubelines, Jubilee Line, District Line & Buses. This Division was established in 1999.

The most successful club is District Line FC, Division One champions on ten occasions.


MY VISIT

I'd initially been in no rush to visit the Market Road Pitches as they regularly play games here. In any case, it was a venue that was built primarily with players in mind and didn't look like a great venue for spectators. However, when I discovered that Frenford, the one remaining team (steps 1-6) that I needed to visit in London was at home in the evening, the time came to visit. I did my research the night before, researching the London Underground League. This really got me in the mood and I started thinking that it may become a semi-regular thing if I fancied revisiting some of the teams in London that I'd not been to for a while. The standard was apparently decent and some of the shirts for the teams looked really good.


The day of the game came and I was thwarted in my attempts to walk down town by the typically rancid weather on my day off. It's something that's gonna be commonplace over the next few months but it always seems to be poor weather on my days off rather than any other. It was annoying not to get some exercise and miss out on stocking up on a few things but there were some upsides. Happily, there would be no issue with my games as they were both on 3G. It also had the upside of me being able to set off earlier - the parking restrictions near Amersham station only applied from 11-12 and the extra time would be appreciated. Some of my morning was spent trying to find a double for Saturday but my options were extremely limited. It isn't much better for any games with me having done a lot of grounds, all the options are getting distant and expensive. My only stipulation is that I want something where I can go from High Wycombe Station so I can leave my car at home. 
I left home just before 12, with the rain still bucketing down. However, by the time I'd got to Amersham, it had eased off to a drizzle. My good luck continued, after parking in a side road and walking to the station, a train showed up within a minute of my arrival. My plan was the Cider House at Borough Market with the Miller as a backup. A further backup was a fair distance away at the Southampton Arms should I need it. Once more, it was a seamless change at Finchley Road with me walking straight off the train and across the platform to another. I was soon at London Bridge for Borough Market. It started off excellently with a superb Beef Rendang from Live Joli. However, the Cider House was closed due to staff illness. I've not had a lot of luck with that place lately with problems on my last couple of visits, though usually, it's superb. I headed over to the Miller, ten minutes walk away and this was more reliable. I had a pint of Orchard Revival Cider which was a new one for me. I then had a pint of Perry's Dabinett which was OK but far sweeter than I remember. I was still pushing it for time but it was the Northern Line to King's Cross, then the Picadilly to Caledonian Road. It was then a ten-minute walk from there.
The game was a clash between two teams in contrasting form. Picadilly were the reigning champions and they were unbeaten so far. They were 3rd in the league, one of three teams with an unbeaten record. In their last game, they'd drawn 2-2 with Northern Line and had beaten British Transport Police 4-0. Their other game had seen them gain a default win against Waterloo & City after their opponents could not field a side. South Western Railway meanwhile were in 5th and had lost both of their games. They were one of the other three teams in the league yet to win. So far they had lost 4-3 to Hammersmith & Circle and 6-2 to Northern Line. They'd only been formed in 2019 and I noted that the three teams in the top half of the league had been around since its inception. Picadilly had all the early possession and they took the lead after 10 minutes, converting a right-wing cross at point-blank range. South Western had their first real chance soon after, smashing the left hand upright. A goalkeeper error from a stray back pass nearly saw the lead doubled but the chance was spurned. SW came close just after, good work by #9 down the left but the cross was blasted over. It was 2-0 to Picadilly on 40 minutes, a ball through was not cleared and ended up being finished from close range. Both sides had chances in the second half, though the outcome of the result never looked like changing.
THE GROUND

MARKET ROAD PITCHES is primarily a venue for players rather than spectators. There is a viewing area although this is outside the cage although this is at least raised. It also has some cover. You can stand inside if you wish and are respectful and this offers a better view. Public transport links are good with it being less than a ten-minute walk from Caledonian Road. There are also a few shops and takeaways nearby or you can stop in London en route.

No comments:

Post a Comment