Saturday 19 October 2013

Farsley Celtic - Throstle Nest



Farsley AFC
Throstle Nest
Newlands
Farsley
LS28 5BE

0113 2557292







Ground Number: 306
Wednesday 16th October 2013
Farsley U19 4-1 Halifax U19
CYA North Under 19's League Cup







MY VISIT

For the last of my days up North, I was a bit stuck for something to do in the afternoon, and so started looking for games. A friend and fellow groundhopper Tom had seen Halifax U19's play at Brighouse Town FC and so I looked on their website. Happily, they had a game, this time playing away at Farsley in a cup competition. I left my hotel at the latest possible checkout time and after 40 minutes was in Farsley. It was a fairly short walk to the town so I parked up at the ground and as it was only drizzling. I didn't bother with an umbrella. It was a decision I turned out to regret as it absolutely lashed it down and I got soaked and had to change into some dry clothes. I still got my lunch though, a very nice green Thai Curry and rice for just £2.95. After having little else but chips for the past couple of days, it was nice to have something marginally healthier. I jogged back to the car so didn't get too cold, as there was no shelter anywhere along the way.





The Farsley side, from what I understand are drawn from Leeds University. They certainly looked a good standard of player and the link-up may prove very useful when they are looking for players for their first team. I learned later that Halifax had 7 absent players, which may explain their poor performance. Certainly, their marking was not up to scratch for Farsley's first on 15 minutes. Will Chappell equalised for the visitors soon after with a decent goal and a tidy finish. A close-range finish restored the hosts lead around 5 minutes before halftime after a tidy finish. I went back to my car at halftime as the rain was starting to ease off, I put some stuff in the boot to save time later on. The game continued in the same vein as the first half with Farsley dominating. The visitors added to their own problems on 65 minutes as their keeper was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity, and also allegedly stamping on a player, judging by the referee's reaction. The game was wrapped up 20 minutes from time when Farsley's number 3 finished easily when unmarked from a cross. It had been a decent game, especially considering that it had been free to get in, and had been well worth the effort going, even though I did get a bit wet.



THE GROUND


THROSTLE NEST is one of the bigger and better grounds at this level, due to their one season in the Conference. There are 2 covered sides, one completely seated and the other a terrace with seats put in the middle to comply with ground grading regulations. The rest of the ground is open terracing. I didn't see the shop, tea bar or bar as it was a youth game, but the town and train station is around a mile away and offers a reasonable choice of places to eat and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment