Monday, 31 October 2011

Exeter City - St James' Park




Exeter City FC
St James' Park
Stadium Way
Exeter
Devon
EX4 6PX

01302 411243




Matchday Number: 144
Monday 13th April 2009
Exeter City 1-0 Wycombe Wanderers
Coca Cola League 2


On my first and only visit to Exeter City, I decided to stay down for the weekend. But as it was Bank Holiday, everywhere was really busy and I had to stay in nearby Tiverton. So I had a fairly quiet night before the game. On the day, I parked up at the ground and walked into the town centre. I managed to pick up Ian Holloway's autobiography from Poundland, for would you guess it... £1

That was about as good as it got though. Despite having a bright start and a few good spells, Exeter deserved their 1-0 win, achieved by a goal from former transfer target Matt Gill. This defeat saw Wycombe drop to 3rd place in the table, where they would finish at the end of the season and gain promotion. The game was a typical Peter Taylor one, with us withstanding a fair bit of pressure at the back, but not having much going forward.

ST JAMES' PARK is a really traditional football ground. The worst end is the away end - old uncovered terracing that isn't very deep - so I'd imagine you'd struggle to get a decent view if it was busy. At the opposite end is my favourite part of the ground, a very large covered terrace, which has a heart shape engraved into the steps. I'd like to stand in this end one day. The 2 stands along the side are seating. To the left as you look out of the away end is a smaller stand with black seats - part of this is also given to away fans who wish to sit. And to the right is a more modern stand, decked out in red seats. Exeter is the only ground I know that sells Dominoes Pizza in the ground. As well as this, the ground has all the usual things like a bar, club shop etc and is also within walking distance of the Town Centre, for those who want more choice.

















No comments:

Post a Comment