Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Portsmouth - Fratton Park



Portsmouth FC
Fratton Park
Frogmore Road
Portsmouth
Hampshire
PO4 8RA

023 9273 1204
Official Website




Matchday Number: 178
Tuesday 27th September 2011
Portsmouth 2-3 Peterborough United
nPower Championship


Portsmouth was another ground that I had to do to tick off one of the 92 so when the Sun did their £19.50 ticket offer I jumped at the chance of visiting a ground that was in easy driving distance. Plus I got to meet up with my Facebook friend Jon, who had the other ticket.

Sadly, between buying the tickets and the game taking place, Wycombe had a game rearranged due to Preston's international call ups, so I ended up missing my first home league game in 13 years as I didn't want to let a mate down. This made my Wycombe season ticket even poorer value, and it was touch and go as to whether I'd actually get one in the first place.

On the day, I managed to get out of work just before 1, which meant I could get a good early start. I drove down, stopping off to take pictures at AFC Portchester and then to Fareham town centre, where I had arranged to meet Jon. We set off for Fratton Park just before 4.30. A trouble free journey meant that we were parked up by 5pm and after taking a few pictures of outside the ground we went off to a local pub for dinner and a couple of pints. After meeting Manda, who I also met at the West Ham v Aldershot game, we went into the ground with half an hour till kick off.

Fratton Park is a fairly old style ground with only one really modern stand - that was the biggest stand of them all, the Fratton End, which was opposite us at the far end. We were in the Milton End, shared with the Peterborough fans. Sadly our Posh supporting friend, Jordan, was unable to make it tonight, it would have been nice to meet up. In our stand, there were a couple of supporting pillars but they didn't restrict our view and the legroom was good. Down the side were 2 all seated stands, the one to our right being slightly larger.

The game itself was pretty good. Peterborough took an 4th minute lead through Lee Frecklington after a bad error from Pompey keeper Jamie Ashdown. It was all square 4 minutes later as Garbriel Zakuani put through his own net. At the time, the goal was intitially credited to Erik "The Viking" Huseklepp. Frecklington scored again to see the visitors lead 2-1 at the break. Benjani's late goal looked to have grabbed Portsmouth a vital point, but with the very last kick of the game Huseklepp did score, only in his own net to gift Peterborough a victory.

I later discovered that Wycombe had been involved in a 4-3 thriller in their defeat to Preston, but it was great to meet a good pal in Jon at last, even though I couldn't bring luck on to his team. After dropping him home I made a hasty retreat up the M3 and was back home well before midnight, after a good night out.












No comments:

Post a Comment