Hardwick Recreation Ground
Egremont Road
Hardwick
Cambridge
CB23 7XR
Ground Number: 1574
Tuesday 25th August 2026
Hardwick 2-0 Milton
Cambridgeshire County Premier
HARDWICK FC - A BRIEF HISTORY
The club was established in 1983 and has spent the vast majority of its history in the Cambridgeshire County League. Records only exist from 2004/05 thanks to good coverage from the FA Full Time website. Hardwick were in the Senior A division (step 8) at the time, and they remained there until 2010 when they were promoted to the Premier Division. They achieved top half finishes every season, culminating in a 3rd place finish in 2015, a runners-up spot behind Great Shelford in 2016 and the title in 2017. Despite this win, they dropped down to Division 1A due to an abrupt exodus of their managerial staff and entire playing squad. Shortly after securing the league championship, manager Ollie Drake departed to take over higher-step side Godmanchester Rovers. Following his departure, the vast majority of the title-winning squad dispersed, leaving the club without a viable first-team setup for top-tier county football. Division 1A sits at step 10 of non-league, and Hardwick would remain here for three seasons until they were promoted as runners-up behind Cherry Hinton Reserves in 2020. Three seasons were spent in the Senior B Division until they were champions in 2023, and the Senior Division A title followed the next year. They've been in the Premier Division ever since, finishing 3rd last season.
Local cup wins include the Cambridgeshire Challenge Cup in 2015 when they beat Gaminglay United 1-0 in the final. Hardwick lies about six miles west of Cambridge and has a population of just under 2,700. Historically, Hardwick is hundreds of years old, with the first recorded mention in 991 AD and an entry in the Domesday Book of 1086. Hardwick used to consist of just a few houses and farmland around St Mary's Church, on what is now the southern edge of the village. The village's bakery was sited next to a row of houses just to the east of the pub at the end closest to the church, and the only remnant is the shell of the building which has become a garage. In its very early years, Unipalm had an office in Broadway House, indirectly linking the village to the early history of commercial internet in the UK.
MY VISIT
This midweek was looking rather blank. None of the local teams was at home, and the nearest new ground was a floodlit kickoff in Gloucestershire. I was resigned to a night in and doing something on Wednesday, although even then, the nearest option was around a hundred miles away in Alresford Colne Rangers. Thankfully, the Cambridgeshire County League came to the rescue, not the greatest of grounds in that league and not the most local league, but I still would like to complete the whole of step 7 in the very distant future. Other plans were made for a blank weekend in September when I'll be off to Hamburg. Even if I don't see my preferred game at St Pauli, there will be a whole load of football to watch in a new city.
I was leaving later than usual for the Wycombe Wanderers v Plymouth Argyle game as I wanted to get my blog from the previous night up. I left at 11 and walked to Wetherspoons., There, I had a pint of Cheddar Valley and some wings before moving on to the Rose and Crown, where I had a pint of Old Rosie before walking to the ground. This was the first game with the partially closed terrace in operation, which reduced the atmosphere somewhat, especially when fans in a singing section were made to sit down. It was a rotten first half with Wycombe falling behind, but a better second with us equalising. As it had been just a draw, it was a budget post-match, a can from Tesco and another pint and chips in Wetherspoons. By the time I got home at 8.15, I had walked over 30,000 steps. Another pint before bed was had before I went to sleep at 9. This was the first week of starting at 4 am; I felt great when I got up, but needed an afternoon nap. That knackered me for Monday, so I was looking forward to my day off.
Tuesday came, and it was the usual walk to town and back. The afternoon was spent at home, and I had plenty of work to do on blogs with an extremely busy month coming up. I left at 3.45 and picked Colin up at 4. I was expecting delays due to the Cadent roadworks, but we breezed through. There was some delay on the A1 near Welwyn, around ten minutes. It was hot and Colin slept most of the way. We were there at 5.45 and met up with Peterborough groundhopper Martin. I ate my chicken, having brought my own food as there was not much en route. It was Tandoori coated so my fingers got messy. I dumped the container back in the car and washed my hands just in time for kickoff.
Hardwick were bottom of the table, having lost all three games so far. They'd lost 4-0 at Over Sports, 4-1 to Saffron Walden Reserves and 2-0 to Great Shelford. Milton were 13th and had also lost all three games. They'd lost 4-2 at Soham Town Rangers Reserves, 2-0 to Over Sports and 1-0 at Saffron Walden Town Reserves. The first half was competitive but a bit shot-shy. The hosts had the better of the game but not much quality up front. Hardwick took the lead around ten minutes into the second half; a free kick was put in from the left and headed in from close range. It was 2-0 on 68 minutes, a high ball and a header from around the penalty spot. Milton offered very little, but they did hit the bar with five minutes to go. We left around 8, with me dropping Colin off at 9.25. We were much delayed due to a slow cyclist weaving all over the road on a 60 mph limit road. I was home myself at 9.40, going to bed pretty much straight away.
THE GROUND
Hardwick Recreation Ground or Hardwick Sports and social club us quite a basic setup pitch-wise. On the plus side, there are a couple of fixed dugouts and goal nets in the club colours. The pitch is roped off. The social club is very smart, with a decent range of drinks, including Aspalls cider. There are also basic snacks like crisps. Parking is fairly plentiful, including the surrounding streets. There didn't appear to be many food or drink options nearby.
.png)





















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.