Saturday 5 October 2024

Meyrin FC - Stade Des Arberes


Meyrin FC
Stade Des Arberes
Av. Louis-Rendu 11
1217 Meyrin
Switzerland







Ground Number: 1357
Saturday 5th October 2024
Meyrin 2-1 FC Nanters
1.Liga Classic Gruppe 1









MEYRIN FC - A BRIEF HISTORY

The club was established in the summer of 1914. I was unable to find a lot of information about their early years but it appears that they played in the regional leagues up until 1995 when they won promotion to 1.Liga, the third tier of Swiss football. They were an immediate success and won promotion to the second tier, at the time the Nationalliga B at the first time of asking. However, their joy was short-lived and they were relegated back after just one season. They won promotion back up in 2003 and that season of 2003/04 saw their best-ever finish of 12th in the second tier, by now the modern-day Challenge League. Relegated in 2006, they would win the group title again in 2011 but lost in the playoffs. Despite a reasonable season the following year, a league restructure saw them go down to the fourth tier. In 2015, they suffered another relegation, this time to the fifth tier 2. Liga interregional - Gruppe 1. Meyrin won promotion back to the fourth tier in 2017 where they remain to this day. They play in the 1. Liga Classic Group 1 and they came closest to promotion in 2018 when they finished as runners-up to BSC Young Boys U21.


The main site of CERN, the European Particle Physics Research Organisation, is in Meyrin. Meyrin was originally a small agricultural village until the 1950s when construction of CERN began just to the north. It is now a commuter town dominated with apartment high-rises, and many of its residents work at CERN or in central Geneva. Geneva International Airport is partially located within Meyrin. The population of Meyrin is just over 26,000.


MY VISIT

From the game at Carouge last night, I noted that I'd be returning there the following evening for the US Carouge game, albeit in the next-door stadium which looked basic but pretty decent. It was half hour's walk back to my room where I finished my blog and watched a bit of TV, whilst finishing off the ciders I had got from the supermarket. In fact, I'd worked my way through much of my £30 spent there and so was sure to save some for Sunday when I'd most need it. I went to bed around 12.30am and despite getting up a couple of times in the night, had one of my best night's sleep in months, getting up at 9 am. I had no real concrete plans for the day, other than to go down to the lake and have a good meal, so it was no rush. I had a shower, got dressed and dossed around before leaving at 10.30. I briefly looked at Servette FC but there was not much to see from the outside. The area around my hotel was not the most pedestrian-friendly being right near a dual carriageway. The public transport links were decent though but delayed to the sheer volume of traffic.

 

It made it not the most pleasant walk but a bus and a train later, I was in Geneva centre. I stopped at an off license in the train station where I got a couple more Swiss ciders and took them down to Lake Geneva Pier. They and the lake were very pleasant. I then headed to a restaurant for lunch called Auberge De Saviesse. It took a while to get seated and it was about as stereotypical Swiss as you could get but I wanted something traditional. I ordered veal sausage, fries and a side order of the local speciality, Malakoff Cheese balls. These were pleasant and with tip, 40 Swiss Francs. I then went to a shop to stock up on snacks for the rest of the day. It was then time to head to the game. The local interchange was my initial destination but not being able to find the right platform, I got the train instead. The stop I needed, Zimeysa was one more stop than Meyrin but outside was a bus to near the ground. It was a few minutes late but I was still on course for kickoff. It was a pleasant walk to the ground through peaceful woodland and I arrived ten minutes before kickoff paying CHF10 (around £9) to get in.

 

Meyrin were in 2nd place, only behind leaders Lancy on goal difference. They had won seven, drawn one and lost one of their games so far. Their last game was a 1-0 win over FC La Sarraz-Eclépens. Naters were in 8th, having won three, drawn three and lost three of their games so far. Their last game was a 1-0 loss at home to CS Chênois. As with my last game, a very early goal went against the form book as Naters took the lead from the penalty spot through Thibault Constantin. Meyrin sought to get back in the game and their equaliser came on 36 when Mohammed Boutaleb got on the end of a cross and finished past the keeper. The hosts were very much on top and they took the lead on 84 minutes. A corner was put in from the right and the ball was put home at the near post.

 

THE GROUND

STADE DES ARBARES is set in a pleasant parkland area and also has a nice mountain backdrop. Public transport connections are good and there is plenty of parking. Food and drink are available at a café which has outdoor seating. There is one covered area, a large elevated stand which offers great views of the action and is nicely designed with wooden roof and other parts. There is also a hospitality section in here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment