Tuesday 6 August 2024

Woodcote - Woodcote Rec


Woodcote FC
Woodcote Recreation Ground
Reading Road
Woodcote
Berkshire 
RG8 0RA








Ground Number: 1328
Tuesday 6th August 2024
Woodcote 5-2 Mortimer
Friendly









WOODCOTE FC - A BRIEF HISTORY

Woodcote FC was formed in 1906. They have played in local leagues for much of their history and were champions of the Reading Combination in 1976 and the North Berks League in 1981. They remained in the latter for some time, going back down to Division 2 but coming back as runners-up in 1991. They were relegated again in 1996 and then after a disappointing season left to join the Reading League Division 2 Thames, going up to Division 1 Kennet at the turn of the millennium after a 4th place finish. In 2001, they merged with local side Stoke Row and became known as 'Woodcote & Stoke Row'. They took the latter's place in the Reading League Premier Division but were relegated to Division 1 after a single season. However, 3rd place in 2003 saw them bounce straight back. This brought a good run of success and they were champions of the Premier Division in 2007, winning promotion to the Senior Division. Between 2010 and 2013, they finished as runners-up four seasons in a row, three of those times to Reading YMCA, the closest was by a couple of points in 2010. The league was renamed the Thames Valley League in 2014 but the club never finished below 4th in the Premier Division up until 2021 when the club dropped the 'Stoke Row' part fo their name. They played in the Hellenic D2 East for three seasons, winning the league in 2022 and finishing as runners-up the following year. Last season they were in the North Berkshire League Division 1, finishing 3rd. For this season, they rejoined the Thames Valley Premier.


The club has not yet entered the FA competitions due to lack of facilities. They've won numerous local cups including the Oxfordshire Junior Shield in 1974 and the Berkshire Trophy Centre Senior Cup in 2010 & 2011. Woodcote is a village in South Oxfordshire or Berkshire depending on what metrric you use, about 5 miles southeast of Wallingford and about 7 miles northwest of Reading. It is in the Chiltern Hills, and the highest part of the village is 600 feet above sea level. Woodcote lies between the Goring Road and the A4074. It is centred on the village green and Church Farm, with the village hall centred on the crossroads. Woodcote has two shops – Londis and Co-op – and two pubs, The Red Lion and The Black Lion. The village post office closed in 2017. There is a children's playground built in October 2006 beside the main village green, which is next to the village hall. Woodcote is surrounded in many parts by woodland. There are many country footpaths in the area. Each year Woodcote hosts a steam, vintage and veteran transport and real ale festival, the proceeds of which are donated to local charities and organisations, and over the years has raised more than £450,000. The rally includes a funfair.


MY VISIT

I've been enjoying Step 7 games and grounds more than any other in recent years. Basic, they may be and information is sometimes not put out as frequently as some of the higher-level clubs do. However, there are some great clubs out there and this was especially true of Kennington Athletic. Colin had originally spotted that they had a game against Summertown Stars according to the Futbology app. We were both keen to complete the Oxfordshire Senior League and so we pencilled it in. I was dismayed then when I saw that the club account was looking for a friendly game this Tuesday and Thursday as the fixture must have been cancelled, or indeed not existed in the first place. Thankfully, they were helpful and responsive and let me know that they had a game against Marcham. Given that they had not yet put out details public and plans have a habit of changing at short notice, I had a backup of Abingdon United v Kidlington, a couple of miles away. It would be a revisit, but at least it'd be a game. I'd also watch the Oxon Football Twitter account for any potential replacements.


From my game at Skegness on Saturday, it was a lengthy journey home, via getting dropped off in Bishops Stortford & driving home. I was in at 9.15 and in no mood for sleep. I stayed up for a few hours and as a consequence, only had 3.5 hours of sleep. I got my wish for an easy day at work, not that I was that tired. The Berks County v Clevedon Town FA Cup game had a kickoff time of 1 PM, the precise time I was due to finish work. All of the other cup games were impossible to get to too. Therefore, I was glad when asked if I wanted to go home at 10.45 due to lack of work. I happily accepted, went home, got changed and was out again within an hour. It was only a 40-minute drive to my game and a nice afternoon out. I had some great loaded chips from the Ascot United tea bar and saw Clevedon cruise to a convincing 4-1 win. Monday was more of a slog at work despite getting a better night's sleep and I would be glad of my day off the next day.
The day of the game came and I had a nice lie-in. After having a bath and getting dressed, I had planned to walk down Wycombe in the morning but waited until later due to rain. Instead, I started my research for Saturday's games at Brickfield Rangers and Wrexham. I eventually went out at midday but not before I changed my plans for tonight. Kennington had not put out anything for the public but another local team, Woodcote had a game against Mortimer. I had been planning to visit them last Tuesday, but their ground was not ready. With them once more confirming that it was game day, I decided to head for there. I let Colin know and he was happy with the arrangements. I walked down Wycombe, stopping at a few shops for snacks for tonight's game and an excellent pizza for lunch from Lidl. I came back, arriving around 3 and cooking my lunch. I had enough time to research tonight's hosts before leaving around 4.45. I packed my laptop although that was a waste of time as the battery failed. I was glad I'd bought a Chromebook and regretted not bringing it.
I met Colin at the local bus stop and we were on our way. Traffic was impeccable although it was a very rural route with nice scenery and poor quality roads. We were there 45 minutes before kickoff with plenty of time to relax. Both teams were already out, Woodcote in a job lot of Newcastle United blue away kits rather than their usual black and white and Mortimer in their usual yellow. It was Woodcote who were the better side and they took the lead on 23 minutes with a scrappy goal. The second on 31 minutes found the bottom left-hand corner from just inside the area. A header from a curling right-sided corner made it 3-0 a couple of minutes before halftime. On 49 minutes it was 4-0 when a loose ball from the right was turned home. Mortimer finally pulled a goal back on 73 minutes on the break. A cross from the left and a low shot from around ten yards. The four-goal lead was restored on 77 minutes, a curling cross from the left headed home at the back post. It was a bit of a goal-fest and a penalty for Mortimer reduced the arrears to 5-2 five minutes from time.
THE GROUND

WOODCOTE RECREATION GROUND is as basic as you get although it is a lovely place to watch football. Seating amounts to a few benches and there's no cover or rail. The ground is shared with cricket and is very well kept. The village hall provides facilities and a decent amount of parking. There is also a regular bus that goes past and ends up in Reading. Opposite the bus stop is the Red Lion pub and there are further facilities in the village including a nearby convenience store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment