Monday 25 September 2023

IFK Helsingfors - Bolt Arena


HIFK Helsingfors
Bolt Arena
Urheilukatu 5
00250 Helsinki
Finland










Ground Number: 1225
Friday 22nd September 2023
IFK Helsingfors 2-2 IFK Gnistan
Ykonnen







IFK HELSINGFORS - A BRIEF HISTORY

HIFK Fotboll or IFK Helsingfors, is the football section of HIFK, a sports club based in Helsinki. The men's football team competes in the second tier of Finnish football, Ykkönen. The wider sports club was established in 1897 but the football section was established in 1907, the same year that the Football Association of Finland was founded. In those early years, HIFK were runners-up in the Mestaruussarja (then played as a cup competition) on 5 occasions in 1909, 1912, 1928 and 1929. This is the top tier in Finland and in total, HIFK have played 37 seasons here, winning it 7 times and finishing as runners-up twice. They've also spent  22 seasons in the second tier and 19 seasons in the third tier. Their best spell in recent decades was from 1999 to 2002 when the club participated in the Ykkönen. However, the club overstretched itself which resulted in the withdrawal from the Ykkönen at the end of the 2002 season and taking the place of the second team in the Nelonen (Fourth Division) in 2003. More recently, in 2010, they won the third tier, after defeating FC Santa Claus in the promotion playoff match, returning them to the second-tier Ykkönen of Finnish football for seasons 2011 and 2012, only to be relegated back to Kakkonen after their 2012 season. They soon won promotion back however and have been a bit of a yoyo club between the first and second tiers. Their latest spell in the top flight came between 2019 & 2022 but they've since remained in the second tier.


Historically, HIFK was primarily the club for the Swedish-speaking population in Helsinki. However, the club nowadays is bilingual and language doesn't play an important role in the club anymore. Nowadays, the most renowned supporter group of the club is Stadin Kingit (in English: "the kings of Stadi"). Its name derives from the common slang nickname for Helsinki (Stadi). Many members attend the handball, bandy and ice hockey matches of HIFK as well. The single most important fixture for HIFK supporters is the one against the major local rivals, HJK. The fixture is commonly known as the Stadin derby. The club have made three appearances in European competition but were knocked out at the first hurdle by Malmo (1960 European Cup), Austria Vienna (1962 European Cup) and Rosenborg (1971 UEFA Cup). In addition in 1912, the Finnish Football team at the Stockholm Olympics comprised a team of HIFK players. 


MY VISIT

This trip was made back in July when I was bored on the coach to Plymouth. I fancied a trip to visit some more countries so started randomly dropping the pin into random spots on the Futblogy app and seeing what came up. I was looking to visit multiple countries and eventually found a weekend that included Finland, Estonia & Latvia> Once I'd made sure that everything was logistically possible, I booked it all up. I reckoned on the Finnish part being the most expensive but it looked like a great place to visit. I secured a RyanAir flight for £24 but this was offset by the airport parking of £78. Stansted was a bit of a pain to get to on public transport from where I was in the middle of the night compared to somewhere like Heathrow or Gatwick. Driving and parking was cheaper than a hotel and talking of that, I secured what appeared to be a nice hotel room in Helsinki for £78.


As for the game, I originally had down an unattractive ground at PPJ Helsinki. It was basically a 3G cage with a very small viewing area and most people opted to stand outside. I was always going to dig deeper to see if I could find a better option nearer the time. Futbology was once more an asset as when I checked on Sunday evening, a game involving HIFK at the Bolt Arena came up. This was perfect as it was a 45-minute walk from my hotel. I was able to secure a decent seat for £12.50. I'd already checked out what bars and food places were worth visiting and there were plenty. Despite the UK seemingly under a constant deluge, when I checked the Helsinki weather on Friday, it was looking great
.
Wednesday had started well enough with me getting a lot of good feedback about my blog of the previous night at Cranleigh. I walked to town and got some stuff I needed as well as ordering a few last-minute bits online. Despite getting the bus back I still got soaked on the walk from the stop to home. It was a sign of things to come. Firstly, I lost my game at Sherborne due to a waterlogged pitch. Then, after I'd decided to revisit Guildford, it was called off en route. All part of grondhopping I guess but I can't help but think that more clubs should go 3G with the incessant rain that seems to be the norm. I only wasted around 40 miles of petrol and was surprised to get home and see that the game at Ledbury had gone ahead. That's one I'd rather save for a Saturday with it having lots of good pubs.


After a quiet Thursday I didn't have the best night's sleep so felt jaded when I woke at 3.45. There was no rush and so I took my time with breakfast and left at 4.15. It was a fairly routine journey and I was at my airport parking around 5.45. After security, I'd normally go to Wetherspoons for a pint but the place was absolutely rammed so I got a meal deal from WH Smith for £4.99. Unlike Spoons, they didn't hike up their prices and I got a cajun chicken wrap, monster drink and Pringles for £4.99. Overall, Stansted was crap compared to Gatwick, huge queues for the limited amount of toilets and a poor selection of eating and drinking places compared to Gatwick where I had Nandos for breakfast. The wait at the gate was a while but we departed on time. Despite not paying for a seat upgrade, I lucked out and got a whole row to myself. It was a pleasant flight and we arrived there on time. Thanks to Farage and his chums, there was a long queue at passport control rather than just breezing through the automatic barriers as you could when in the EU. They soon opened up some more desks and things got moving a bit quicker.


It was around ten minutes to the station. The service was an excellent one, under £4 and a train every ten minutes for the half hour journey. Everything was very clean and comfortable. I was in Helsinki around 2.15 with me not due to check in until 3, I headed for lunch. Bastard Burgers wasn't cheap but I was able to get a cider, double Helsinki burger and sweet potato fries for just under £25. I wasn't going to scrimp in what was a pricey City, I don't mind spending if it is good. It was too, the burger was one of the best I have ever had with some lovely peppery beef. From there it was to a shop to pick up a few bits. I got a few cans of various ciders to take back to the room and went and checked in. It was a nice room and I was able to charge everything up and have a shower before leaving at 5.30. Everything was all a bit confusing as they didn't appear to take contactless on all public transport. Instead, I got a ticket on the app. I could have walked it but I was tight for time. The tram worked out and I was in well before kickoff. The stand I was in got the use of a nice bar but my supermarket purchases meant I was OK for now.
HIFK were 6th, whilst Gnistan were second. The hosts had lost their last five games losing 2-0 at EIF, 2-0 at TPS and 3-0 at Jaro. They'd also lost at home - 2-0 to EIF and 2-1 to SJK Akatemia. The visitors were in far better form and had won their last game 2-1 at Japs. They'd also won 1-0 at SJK Akatemia,  beaten Salpa 3-2 and TPS 2-0. They'd also drawn 1-1 with Jaro. In the head-to-head between the two teams. Gnistan were unbeaten in 5 and had beaten HIFK 4-0  at home back in June. The home fans were in good voice but it was Gnistan who had all the early play. They went ahead after a few minutes, a low drive into the bottom left corner by Sarr. Ten minutes later, it was all square, a header by Pasi. HIFK went on to have the better of the first half but it was all square at half time. I got some crisps and drink from a strange vending machine which allowed you to scan your card, open the door and pick your stuff. HIFK had the ball over the line a couple of minutes into the second half, I'm sure of it. But it was not given after the Gnistan man hooked it clear. On 78, the hosts got the lead they deserved, Ulmanen bundling the ball home from a cross. Gnistan had a last minute goal disallowed but then the play was rolled back and they scored the awarded penalty. The heavens had opened just before this but thankfully it had died down a bit before it came to time to leave.
THE GROUND 

THE BOLT ARENA is a fairly modern stadium, though it's looking jaded in places. It looks bigger than the 10,770 capacity and despite being bowl shaped, the stands are split up. As well as HIFK, it's also the home of HJK Helsinki. There are a few places within walking distance of the ground or inside is a nice bar, snack bar and a limited range of hot food, all at the usual stadium premium prices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment