Wednesday 8 May 2013

South Park - Whitehall Lane

 

South Park FC
Whitehall Lane
South Park
Reigate
Surrey
RH2 8LG

01737 245963





Ground Number: 273
Tuesday 7th May 2013
South Park 3-1 Molesey
Combined Counties League









MY VISIT

As my parents were away, I decided to go to football for the 4th day in a row. I had the choice of 3 matches in the Combined Counties League - at Westfield, Hartley Wintney and South Park. As I had been to the other 2 for photos, I decided to go to South Park, a suburb of Reigate, even though it was a little further than the other 2. I had the day off work and had put my car in for its MOT and annual service. I was expecting a fairly big bill, but not one as big as the £673 I got, as it needed new brake pads and discs, a new tyre, something to do with the suspension as well as all the usual bits and pieces. I will miss football when it all ends in a week or so, but at least it will give me the chance to save some money. I had dinner before I left at 6.15, allowing extra time in case there was traffic.



I had seen South Park play earlier this season when they beat Harefield United 4-1 in the FA Cup. They were currently 5th in the league, whilst opponents Molesey were mid-table. I had only seen them once, as they beat Windsor 3-1 back in 2004 when former Everton goalkeeper Neville Southall was involved with the club. 
I made good time for the journey as the M25 had no delays for once, not even round the bit near the M3 where I always get stuck. I got to the ground at 7.15 and after a quick look in the bar went in. The first half was a typical end of season game, really cagey and not many chances. The second half had only just started though when 2 quick goals put them firmly in control of the game. They had the better of the next 10 minutes but slowly Molesey were starting to get back into it. They had a good passage of play and were rewarded with a goal just before full time. However, South Park sealed the game with a third goal in injury time to cement their place at the top of the table.

THE GROUND

WHITEHALL LANE is quite a basic ground, even for this level. It is, however, really well kept and in nice surroundings, a really nice place to watch football on a spring evening. There is a small seated stand behind one goal, holding around 100, whilst the only other area of cover is under the changing room block. The rest of the ground is open hard standing, but that's all you need at this level. There is a tea bar and a clubhouse, neither of which I tried, but seem to offer a nice selection of stuff. The programme priced at £1 was decent value. Although not the greatest in the content stakes, it was certainly well produced and smartly presented, even if they do that annoying thing where they put the home goals first (IE a 4-1 away win is presented as 1-4)


No comments:

Post a Comment