Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Bury - Gigg Lane

Bury FC
Gigg Lane

08445 790009

Matchday Number: 100
Tuesday 7th December 2004
Bury 2-2 Wycombe Wanderers
Coca Cola League 2

My first visit to Bury for a game was for a 2-2 draw in December 2004. I had visited previously a few years previously, but a floodlight failure meant that it was a wasted journey. Other notable visits include a 4-0 victory - our best result there, and the end of our 21 game unbeaten start to the season in December 2005, where we lost 2-1.

However the game I am going to concentrate on in this instance is the 2-2 draw during the February of 2008. After Saturday’s disappointing result against Mansfield a good result in tonight’s game against Bury was essential.

For me it meant an early start, as I was planning to travel up early, stay the night, then have a tour of Old Trafford tomorrow. As well as visiting various football grounds on the way up, we also stopped off in Warrington at Morrisons for a much needed breakfast. Coincidentally the topic of discussion on the radio was Warringtonrelated, what with the news that Gary Newlove’s widow wanted the death penalty for the scum that murdered her husband. It’s been covered elsewhere, but his revolting killers booted his head “like a football” while his sobbing 12 year old daughter watched.

We eventually got up to Bury just before lunchtime, before having a look round the town and going back to the hotel for a bit of a relax. The owner sorted me out with a copy of the United V City programme from Sunday’s game that I had looking for, so thumbs up to the White Horse in Bury! Terry Christian on BBC Radio Manchester kept me entertained for a couple of hours before we set off for 
Gigg Lane just before 6. I fancied a leisurely stroll. But poor Billy’s legs couldn’t take the 10 minute marathon, so whinged into submission I drove

Bury (and a lot of their local rivals) have always been a pleasure to visit due to their friendly club and supporters. Generally travels with Wycombe are trouble free, but the 
North West always seems to offer the best welcome.
The first half was fantastic for Wycombe. We were playing some really good stuff and went 2-0 up. Sergio Torres and Scott McGleish from the penalty spot doing the damage. Bury’s furious protests were ignored as Leon Knight went down under pressure and McGleish set Wycombe on their way to what looked an inevitable win

Even in the 2nd half Wycombe continued to control the game. The turning point play wise came when the influential Tommy Doherty was replaced. Shortly after Russell Martin’s handball in the area was penalised, Bury’s top scorer Andy Bishop did the business from the spot.

Wycombe continued to press though, Torres forcing a desperate save from Bury keeper Darren Randolph. Perhaps it was inevitable then, that through bad luck or failure to kill the game off that Bury got the equaliser. It was a great free kick from Brian-Barry Murphy, a curling shot into the top right hand corner that rescued a point for the Shakers.

GIGG LANE is a decent enough ground, another one that is all seater with no terracing though. There are 2 seperate stands - the Cemetery end behind the goal, where away fans were originally housed. And the main stand, which has the dressing rooms and bars underneath. The other 2 sides have a stand that is joined together in a half bowl. The fans are as previously stated, very friendly. And there is plenty to do around the ground

No comments:

Post a Comment